Heater on my 5.5 aquarium

alcidmr

Why is my heater 50w for my 5.5 at 82F and I keep changing it to 79 and and still gets to 82F for my betta I heard from creative pet keeping on YouTube that 82F is perfect for a betta but I'm worried that I can't get the heater were I want it and I calibrated but now after a a while is doing this is. It's there nothing to worry about any suggestions, Oh is a Eheim aquarium heater .Thanks 

16661489859355281566288822421704.jpg

• Like 1

First issue, the heater is buried in the substrate.  Please turn it to a 45 degree angle so it can fit and work slightly better. 

In terms of that heater specifically, always check it with 1 (preferably 2) external temperatures.  A betta should be ok with 78-82 degree water, but I am not one to suggest temps.  @Odd Duck had suggested a range of 80-82 and that's the best advice I can give you for their care.  Because those specific heaters can be pretty sloppy with temp, I would target 80, check the temp in an hour with the thermometer, then go ahead and adjust as you need to.  It's going to fluctuate slightly up or down based on flow in the tank and that's normal. 

There is an adjustment on those in the back with the little tab, I believe it's red. But if you're getting temps off a few degrees you'd adjust that, then adjust to your desired temp. re-check calibration, etc.  But the main reason you're having issues right now is because it's buried in the rocks.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 12:30 AM, alcidmr said:

To @nabokovfan87 and @Odd Duck i angle the heater and it drop to 81F instead of 82F and I have it set to 79F I guess that's close enough just thought i let you know thanks again.

As long as it holds the temp you want, set it at whatever number gets you the temp you’re aiming for.  Sometimes the dials aren’t that accurate but adjust until you get the desired temp. If it holds that temp consistently for you it doesn’t matter what the dial says as long as you remember this one is a little off if you switch it to a different tank or want to switch temps for different inhabitants.  You can always tape or tie a note to the cord to indicate it reads “X” degrees lower than actual temp.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:30 PM, alcidmr said:

To @nabokovfan87 and @Odd Duck i angle the heater and it drop to 81F instead of 82F and I have it set to 79F I guess that's close enough just thought i let you know thanks again.

Yep, exactly what Odd Duck mentioned, go ahead and set it to what you're wanting. If the target is 81, get the temp to 81 and then go ahead and adjust calibration.  Let me see if I can find a video, but the one you showed does have calibration.

https://youtu.be/9HsAq0E__E0

You're looking to basically adjust this red square left of right so it moves the arrow to the right spot to calibrate. Super easy 🙂

Screenshot_20221019-231558.png

• Like 2