Tank care while on Vacation

NanotankBank

Hello all,

So a big topic that comes to mind and that will be relevant for me soon, is tank care while you are away for a period of time. I’ve got a 29gal tank that’s pretty heavily stocked that I want to keep healthy while I’m gone for about 2 weeks. Any suggestions on auto feeders or any suggestions on ways I can keep my tank extra clean while I’m away?

I would reduce my feeding a few weeks before I travel and do a big water change the day before then ask someone to nip in and feed the fish about twice each week having portioned out the food for them.

If not auto feeders are fine but get it set up while you are home so you get get it fine tuned

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 4:16 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I would reduce my feeding a few weeks before I travel and do a big water change the day before then ask someone to nip in and feed the fish about twice each week having portioned out the food for them.

Agree with above… mostly. 🙂 If doing a water change the day before you go away, I’d make it a normal change, not a big one. At least not (much) bigger than usual. 

Definitely cut back on feeding before and especially while you’re away. But if you’re heavily stocked, that could come with its own issues, that might not have solutions. Eg with less food in a heavily stocked tank, you might see increased aggression. If there are fry, you might see predation. Pros and cons, balance in all things, yada yada.