What’s your FAVORITE thing about the hobby? And, what’s your least favorite?

AllFishNoBrakes

For me, I think my favorite thing about the hobby is that I’m constantly learning and there’s always something new to try. A new species, a new plant, C02, this shrimp, that fish, 1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish. I love to see that there’s people on here have been keeping/breeding fish for 50 years or more and are STILL finding joy in new things. To me, the hobby feels endless and even if “you’ve done it all” you literally haven’t. A close second would be the peace of mind it brings me. No matter how stressful my day was I can always get lost in my tanks and reset my brain. If I can’t sleep, I simply start day dreaming about the next thing I want to try  and the next thing you know my alarm is going off and it’s back to the grind. 

My least favorite part of the hobby is that I don’t have the time nor space that I wish I did. Im maxed out on space and don’t have the time to adequately maintain more tanks, plus I work a very demanding job, but the hobby keeps me sane when I’m at home. I wish I could dedicate more time to learn some more/try some more things, but it’s simply not there. 

Now it’s your turn. Let’s talk about both sides of the coin. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 3

This is always a good topic to discuss. 

I'll start with the negative- this will always be the early deaths. When your fish get sick, injured or your fry don't make it- this is always a bummer. Seeing suffering and sometimes feeling like you are the one that caused it- well that's the worst. 

The best part- well not just maintaining healthy tanks- which I'm a freak and happen to LOVE maintenance- I imagine it's sort of like teaching a kid how to ride a bike as a parent and letting go and they're doing it on their own- that's how I feel about my tanks once they are pretty much maintenance free (and I'm only doing it because I feel like it) and sick fish or deaths don't come up often or at all unless it's natural lifespan. That feeling of success that you did it right and seeing the happy inhabitants every day and appreciating them. It's hard not to be at least a little proud of that. 

• Like 1

@xXInkedPhoenixX Agreed. I love doing maintenance. I enjoy getting out my diy tools/buckets and throwing in some headphones and just getting to work. I enjoy the couple of hours once a week where I feel like I’m keeping everything going and doing the best for my tanks. Then, it’s time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I’ll admit I probably do more maintenance than I NEED to (water changes 1/week) but I enjoy it and it’s my time to do what makes me happy. Thanks for chiming in!

• Like 1

Buying fish is my favorite thing. Then feeding and watching them grow into their personalities.  
filter cleaning and algae scraping are least favorite.  Ugh but somebodies got to do it.  Poor guy needs some Daphnea in there to eat all that green algae bloom.  577285C1-B9E8-4320-BFD1-4B4025C851B4.jpeg.c0e495ab4eb52cab3a7a5d290fd1c5e0.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes I’m build an entire 55 gallon tank around them with one male and 2-3 females spread out.  

The Top brown rim  tank is for the triple reds.  I just put it up yesterday so it will be a while before ready to house them.   I have Daphnea in those green water tanks to feed live food to my fishes.  F7E29232-3AEF-443A-B8CB-7027601864BC.jpeg.95f41ece98029f9c6cf68d135dc17e85.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'll concur on early death being the least favorite. Since getting back into the hobby this summer, I've already lost one ram, and I felt like I failed the little guy. it was awful. 

My favorite part is definitely seeing my Pygmy Corys interact with their environment, my Black Phantoms interact with each other, and my remaining Ram interact with me. They are all so different!

A close second has been seeing new leaves come out of crypts.

• Like 1

Wow, only ONE favorite thing, huh?  Then, I gotta say, the personalities of the different creatures in the tanks.  It's so interesting to watch their mannerisms.  For example, my Bolivian Ram, Snoopy, is curious about everything that goes in the tank and has to inspect it (Hence his name).  But he does so cautiously: approach a little, pause, approach a little bit more, taste..  also he decided he must get in front of the camera at every opportunity possible, regardless of what I'm photographing.  🤣  Meanwhile I have mystery snails filling their feet full of air bubbles, riding them to the top, then letting the bubbles go and floating down to the sand.  They've essentially created their own amusement park in there.

Least favorite thing: death.

• Like 1

My favorite thing about the hobby is getting to see a little betta in a small cup become happier, brighter, and more colorful within just a few months. I love watching his personality unfurl and see his greetings each time I approach the tank. I love the sound of the water and the calm it brings when I do some maintenance. 

There's really nothing to dislike right now! 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 8:56 AM, Matilyn said:

My favorite thing about the hobby is getting to see a little betta in a small cup become happier, brighter, and more colorful within just a few months. I love watching his personality unfurl and see his greetings each time I approach the tank. I love the sound of the water and the calm it brings when I do some maintenance. 

There's really nothing to dislike right now! 

@Matilyn then you need to check out what @xXInkedPhoenixX is doing!!!

My favorite thing would be trying new things whether that's fish, plants, scape ideas, experiments and fish combinations. So much to think about, learn about, and experience. 

My least favorite thing would be moving or the idea of moving my fish tanks and fish rack. I just finished a move and luckily it was very close to my old place, but it was still a pain. I don't even know what I'm going to do if I move further, and even just the potential for moving I feel like limits what I can do now or how many tanks I can get.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 8:09 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

@billango I’m most likely moving in about 8 months and I’m dreading it. I’m hoping I can secure a place 1 month before my current lease is up to move a couple of tanks per week. It’s…. Not gonna be fun no matter how you slice it 

I also had a couple weeks of overlap between my leases and it definitely made it less stressful for both me and my fish. I believe I made out with no casualties. I only really had 3 real tanks to move though. Best of luck to you. 

• Like 1

My favorite Is easy: watching the animals, or seeing new growth on a dying plant.

I don't have a least favorite, I have a list.  If I have to pick one, it will be the lack of absolutes in the hobby, especially when it comes to plants.  Some of my plants are happier under that $3. light bulb, or that repurposed flashlight, than the $100. aquarium light.  Some of us can't grow easy beginner plants in what we think are the best possible conditions..

On the subject of early fish death: It happens. I consider them money wasted. Long term residents are a different matter. One of my favorite fish to watch, my Moonlight Gourami died yesterday. A cartload of medicines and a hospital tank might have prolonged its life, but I am inclined to believe that at 5 years old, its time had come.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 9:15 AM, Tanked said:

On the subject of early fish death: It happens. I consider them money wasted.

Same. I remind myself every time I get something new, whether it be a fish or a plant, that it’s an experiment. We all hope it works out, but sometimes it doesn’t and it’s outside of our control. I also have to remind myself that it’s pretty insane we can keep fish and plants in a box full of water in the first place. 

• Like 2