Featured guest videos on the channel

FoxyShazam

tldr; Spotlight guest speakers would be a cool addition to the channel. There are some obvious hurdles, but it would be a win win win for everyone.

So, don't get me wrong, the Aquarium coop channel is great. However, most of the videos are geared towards new or newish aquarists (again its great -we need new blood in the hobby and I realize that's the majority of the coops target demographic.) As a 30 year vet fish keeper, a lot if not most of the videos just aren't for me. I usually watch, like, and occasionally comment or reply to anyone with questions to help  the channel with the algorithm. I understand that the coop has limited resources and time and that those resources must be used for the videos they already produce. I also know that focusing on new aquarists is less time consuming and more beneficial for the company to get new business. But, It would be really cool if maybe once a month there were an "advanced" or "deep dive" video for some of not-so-green aquarists.

About once a month or so we do get a video about Cory or Dean's fish rooms which are good examples for what new aquarists to strive for and for old timers to compare, contrast and glean ideas from. There also used to be fish room tours (pre-COVID) every so often that also filled that niche. But I think there's an opportunity to better the channel with minimal resources being diverted from the current channel's programming.

Now that the coop brand has more clout than ever in the hobby, I was wondering if aquarist spotlight videos would be a viable idea. This could be a monthly video in addition to the normal videos that would be posted to the channel, but not produced by it. Perhaps club speakers for that month could shoot a short introduction video to their fish room or some aspect of their hobby. EDIT: This could be a great way to get more people to join the membership so they could see the speakers talk after seeing their spotlight video/introduction. I realize this would put more work on speakers and many would not want to do it, but for those that did it could be a good way to get people to their channels if they have one. They may even want to share something that is adjacent or not related to the specific topic of their video talk for it. 

If speakers don't have the time or desire to make a video, guest videos from other channels or people without channels, but still want to show what they're up to, would be great too. Imagine someone like Alex from The Secret History Living in Your Aquarium doing a guest spot. (He would be a great speaker too, btw) or someone doing something really cool from here on the forum could share. The channel gets something fresh for more advanced aquarist with minimum resources put into it, and the guest gets use of a larger platform. While a lot of us would probably be directed to these types of video by youtube, I believe there are still a lot of people out there doing incredible things that aren't getting the views they deserve or don't have the platform to share. This is especially true for people doing unique or more advanced things that aren't going to going to show up without fairly specific search keys. With a little curation from the coop team, there's a win win situation for everyone here.

I realize the biggest issue here would be quality control and finding these guests. I don't necessarily have any ideas about how to solve both issues. However, with modern smart phones, basically everyone has a good video camera in their pocket these days -- Audio and presentation skills are more challenging issues. In terms of finding guests, well a good place to start is here on the forum and some of the middle sized channels a lot of us fishtubers already know about - Secret History, Bob, Ryo Watanabe, Rachel O'Leary (God willing, when she's recovered and if she's feeling up to it), sheesh what the heck are Robert and Randy up to? 

Sorry for the long post. I don't know why I thought this was a good use of my or anyone else's time, but here we are. Happy fishkeeping everyone! Enjoy nature daily!

Edited by FoxyShazam

On 10/16/2022 at 8:31 PM, FoxyShazam said:

most of the videos are geared towards new or newish aquarists

I’m sorry but the hobby shall always need new blood and most of the recent videos are from the German Trip and really specialize in shrimp or fun advanced stuff at a wholesaler.

I’m sure @Cory would be able to argument the rest of the points you have made.

Have a nice day!!!

I agree that the hobby always needs new blood, and made a point of saying so in the post. Also made a point that there is some stuff for advanced keepers. Neither of those were my point, and if I did a poor job of expressing that, that's on me. 

I have no criticism of the channel here, only an idea.  

• Administrators

I'm not gonna get into the drama. But some people you suggest, will never get a platform on aquarium co-op. If you're looking for higher level content, have you become a member? We hire a professional in their field for $500 for a talk each month, and buy them a webcam and a microphone. Yesterday was a talk on breeding corydoras and it was awesome.  It was more towards getting into breeding, and as a 30 year veteran, maybe you'd enjoy the talk on corydoras we had many months ago about their toxins and the 1 lab who is studying it etc.

As for Randy and Robert. They've been busy and we did try to schedule to have Randy on this last month but he was only flying into town when I was away traveling.  Robert will likely be in a unboxing soon coming up. I think sometimes people forget that the employees have full time careers they're dedicated to and the video part ends up happening on their "extra" time as obligations to the business only grow in those high level roles.

On 10/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, Cory said:

I'm not gonna get into the drama. But some people you suggest, will never get a platform on aquarium co-op. If you're looking for higher level content, have you become a member? We hire a professional in their field for $500 for a talk, and buy them a webcam and a microphone. Yesterday was a talk on breeding corydoras and it was awesome.  It was more towards getting into breeding, and as a 30 year veteran, maybe you'd enjoy the talk on corydoras we had many months ago about their toxins and the 1 lab who is studying it etc.

I really should become a member….😉

I’ve been trying to breed palaeatus for such a long time! I have no idea why the albino variant won’t cross with the normal one? (I was only able to afford one🙃🤷‍♂️

On another note I ‘d like to thank Cory for all the work he’s done in promoting the hobby while rendering it better, and doing fun YouTube videos!

• Administrators
On 10/16/2022 at 11:58 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I really should become a member….😉

I’ve been trying to breed palaeatus for such a long time! I have no idea why the albino variant won’t cross with the normal one? (I was only able to afford one🙃🤷‍♂️

On another note I ‘d like to thank Cory for all the work he’s done in promoting the hobby while rendering it better, and doing fun YouTube videos!

Specifically paleatus were talked about as one of the first corydoras to breed in yesterday's talk 😉

I am a member. Joined a couple months before the speaker events started just for those talks. There have been some great ones, and I recommend membership to all my fish friends. The video yesterday was one of my favorites so far.

I definitely understand how busy your employee's are. It's always a treat when they find time to be on the channel.

Something that I accidentally deleted when I made this post was that the spotlight video would be a good way to get more people to join the membership so they could see a full talk. Interesting you say some of those people will never get a platform. To my knowledge, they all align with the coops values. I didn't mention any of the obviously controversial channels (*cough* OFR *cough*), at least I thought. haha

On 10/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

albino variant won’t cross with the normal one?

Are you sure they are albino paleatus sorry for the detail but somewhere in the back of my busy and totally unverified brain is that albino corys are albino bronze corys which would explain your issue as bronze and paleatus don't cross breed (I have them both in my community tank and they barely even talk let alone anything else)

On 10/16/2022 at 2:56 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Are you sure they are albino paleatus sorry for the detail but somewhere in the back of my busy and totally unverified brain is that albino corys are albino bronze corys which would explain your issue as bronze and paleatus don't cross breed (I have them both in my community tank and they barely even talk let alone anything else)

Very good point but there are albinos of many different cory species.

@TheSwissAquarist, how certain are you of the source of your albinos?  Could they be different species?  Cories don’t care what color they are as long as they are the same species.  I’ve never heard of albinos of a species not breeding with other colors of the same species.  I couldn’t tell you how to make certain you have paleatus albinos but you might be able to find some info on that.  Possibly fin ray counts may help, or there may be something else that will be a tell so you can know one way or another.

I need to check out the video.  I didn’t have a chance to watch yesterday.

On 10/17/2022 at 3:13 AM, Odd Duck said:

Very good point but there are albinos of many different cory species.

@TheSwissAquarist, how certain are you of the source of your albinos?  Could they be different species?  Cories don’t care what color they are as long as they are the same species.  I’ve never heard of albinos of a species not breeding with other colors of the same species.  I couldn’t tell you how to make certain you have paleatus albinos but you might be able to find some info on that.  Possibly fin ray counts may help, or there may be something else that will be a tell so you can know one way or another.

I need to check out the video.  I didn’t have a chance to watch yesterday.

I know that they’re albino palaeatus because they show that slight iridescence on their side, and are a bit smaller and have a different body shape than my Aeneus albinos.

I got my one from my LFS (turns out a friend bought 9 of the 10 on offer), and I took pity on the last one and put him in with my normal palaeatus corys 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 12:00 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I know that they’re albino palaeatus because they show that slight iridescence on their side, and are a bit smaller and have a different body shape than my Aeneus albinos.

I got my one from my LFS (turns out a friend bought 9 of the 10 on offer), and I took pity on the last one and put him in with my normal palaeatus corys 

Then I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t breed with your other paleatus cories.