A Pygmy Party! My 10 Gallon Office Tank Journal

flyingcow

On 1/3/2023 at 2:10 PM, DebSills said:

more pygmys are always better!!

I have over 20; it doesn't help much 😉 I created a clear area in the very back; and they hang out there - occasionally one will bravely come to the front when i feed the fishes after all the very BEST food is in front !

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 10:12 AM, anewbie said:

I have over 20; it doesn't help much 😉 I created a clear area in the very back; and they hang out there - occasionally one will bravely come to the front when i feed the fishes after all the very BEST food is in front !

Don't you dare stop me from getting more fishies! 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Ok haven't posted in a while. Honestly, I thought I was losing Pygmys like crazy and the Amano shrimp were eating their bodies. I thought I was down to two. A few days ago, I saw three.

Today I pulled a bunch of hardscape to clean the tank. I found 9. While cleaning driftwood, I noticed one flopping around in the bucket, clearly having somehow clung to a rock to escape the tank. After that mild heart attack, I quickly ran the bucket back upstairs, poured some aquarium water into the bucket and got him to safety. I have at least 10 Pygmys. I now believe I still have all 12 in there. They hide that well. I went over a week without seeing a single one. 12 fish in a 20 long and they are all capable of COMPLETELY DISAPPEARING! 

...at least they're healthy and happy... I'm going to have a beer after cleaning this tank...

• Haha 1

They do hide well! I have 16 in my 33g. But In my experience, pygmys are not shy at all. They just perform a better schooling when in a bigger sized group. They seem to enjoy company. I agree that the more the merrier.

I used to have 6. They were only schooling during water changes, probably seen as a stress factor. But when they are 16, they are always schooling and playing around together! They are the cutest

On 3/4/2023 at 2:02 PM, Lennie said:

They do hide well! I have 16 in my 33g. But In my experience, pygmys are not shy at all. They just perform a better schooling when in a bigger sized group. They seem to enjoy company. I agree that the more the merrier.

I used to have 6. They were only schooling during water changes, probably seen as a stress factor. But when they are 16, they are always schooling and playing around together! They are the cutest

I did just find the remains of one, so I have either 10 or 11. They have always been SUPER shy with me

It’s nice to hear your group is doing well. I have been thinking of getting a school of 10 for my 20 gallon. Basically have the ok from the wife because they are so stinking cute!  She really likes to look at the 3 in the 6 gallon. Keep this going. I love the journey.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So I haven't posted anything here in a while! The pygmys and embers are all doing well. Somewhere along the way, I lost one ember, and who knows how many pygmy's I have. At yesterday's water change I saw 9, but they have made a cave under a rock and I left it be. Crafty lil buggers.

I was away 5 days a week for work for about 6 months. That meant the tanks were getting enough work to stay alive and not much more. And since this tank was stable compared to the 36 gallon parasitic auto-da-fé in my living room, it suffered a bit. Fishies are healthy and well, but the plants are suffering a bit, and the hair algae is getting annoying. Time for a good cleaning or three, some root tabs, and actually remembering to fertilize!

I tested iron, and it was basically zero. Gonna see if the tabs and easy green give me enough before dosing iron.

20240308_080147.jpg

20240308_080204.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/9/2024 at 8:16 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

@flyingcow I just saw this journal and wanted to follow it, what size tank is that exactly? The last pic you have showed.

It's a 20 long. I started it in a 10 gallon, but the pygmys HATED IT and would freak out and hit the glass any time I moved. They are much happier with some space.

• Love 1