Hi! This sounds crazy but...

Zzsharks

Hi! Today I wnet to the fish store to pick up my new betta ( so pretty!) and I heard someone say " Hi I got the 0.8 gallon betta twinsie tank and I need 2 bettas." It is a tank with a devider so each fish only gets 0.4 gallons of swim room! It comes with no heater or filter! And the employee did't say ANYTHING! He just gave her two KING bettas

m_60ad43207f80d2bf39fdd127.jpg.ec7282aa292b3e8a9155611d4f17c318.jpg

• Sad 2

So true. It hurts my heart to see fish being mistreated or any animal for that matter and people see nothing wrong with it. I always get in trouble with my mouth because I can’t help but get upset with the person who’s making this purchase. It’s not right and it’s inhumane. 🙏🏼I’ll pray for those poor bettas. 

Or when people say “it’s just a fish what’s the big deal” Oh my goodness fire is coming out of my ears everytime I hear that. 

next time you see someone mistreat an animal you should say just because of its size it doesn’t lessen its worth apart from any other animal, and Because an animal is vulnerable and completely dependent on the owner they need to do better and do their research. Animals have no choice but to be obedient to whatever situation their owner puts them in and it makes me so so so sad. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, Zzsharks said:

I almost wanted to tell the lady who bought the two king bettas that she should get a WAY bigger tank

Next time please do.  It's Plato's cave in a nutshell. You don't know what you don't know and getting a proper tank with a filter is likely CHEAPER than the little dinky thing they had in their cart.  Petsmart isn't great about selling tanks. They are good at having pictures.  Petco is slightly better because they actually have the aqueon bare tanks available and it's so easy to get one of those and go pick out the correct filter.

"You would think the company selling this tank would know better."

Companies hire product designers and don't really give them much information other than a budget to hit and some general guidelines. The designers often have no clue about the creatures they're designing habitats for. They typically don't keep them as pets and just design something that "looks good" and is sellable. I had the opportunity to chat up one of the product designers who'd made Wardleys' "Sandman" filter quite a few years back. The fluidized bed sand part was brilliant. The pre-filter was horrible. It would clog within a day or two and then let unfiltered water bypass it. When talking to the designer he seemed very confused why I was feeding my fish as frequently as I was and insisted that he'd been told fish only get fed once or twice a week and that's how the pre-filter had been designed. It wasn't designed to handle daily feedings. Yeah. He admitted he'd never kept fish and seemed shocked that anyone would feed them more than once or twice a week.

If you think it's bad on the fish side, talk to hamster enthusiasts and ask them which commercial hamster cage is best. They'll quickly tell you none and instruct you on which Ikea cabinet to buy and how to modify it into a good hamster cage. The same is true for most pet products. Bird cages often ignore the reality of birds needing to fly and stretch their wings. Dog houses are seldom well designed. Rabbit pens are often horribly made. 

Companies just make products to sell and if it sells, that's all they care about. Ethics take a back seat to sales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1