Fluval 3.0 Nano Tank Size Range?

DigDug

I used a Fluval 3.0 nano on a 10 gallon tank for a single month. It is pretty bright, so there is enough light to grow plants very well. The issue is that the footprint of the light is very small. I was only covering 1/3 of the 10 gallon tank with the Fluval nano. So only plants that were directly under the light were growing well. I eventually switched to a Finnex Stingray II, which has been doing great on my 10 gallon. 

I think the Fluval 3.0 nano is better suited for cube tanks, due to the footprint of the light. I previously used that light on a 4 gallon cube, and it worked very well. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, Brenden Mitchell said:

The issue is that the footprint of the light is very small. I was only covering 1/3 of the 10 gallon tank with the Fluval nano.

Yeah exactly. The thing a lot of light companies and hobbyist overlook is how it works and not just what works. Will it work? Sure. Is the scape designed in a way to make it work well? Possibly.

Let's say.... You had an offset scape, so all the plant mass was to one side and on the opposite side of the tank you had anubias or java ferns. 

That would mean that you have adequate, effective lighting for that tank and the nano would work well. Your castoff is always going to be a square and not a rectangle. So if you have a square tank, you're ahead of the game with the nano.  If you don't, keep that in mind, purchase 2, etc.

The light is made for small rimless tanks, but you can totally get a 3d printed adapter for a rimmed tank, use several, if that's what you have. If you can get the smaller planted 3.0 traditional light, you might have a bit more options. Especially if you can lift it up off the tank.

I would think the nano "works" for anything up to a 20L depending on setup. 12" depth and smaller.

If you're only growing crypts then a stingray II would be too much light. You'd probably be fine with almost any cheap LED, and that would let you keep the lights on for a long time without the intensity growing lots of algae. The original Stingray has half the PAR of the Stingray II. But you could probably use something a little weaker than that as well. What keeps my tanks from growing a lot of algae is very fast growing stem plants, I use a lot of Elodea. It soaks up excess nutrients and you can see its growth day by day.

Edited by Brenden Mitchell