Plants for Digging fish

BlueLineAquaticsSC

A while back I asked people for suggestions of plants to go with my CA cichlids. I’ve had some success with Anubius Coffeefolia, but all over Anubius has failed and Java Fern hasn’t held up either.  A lot of people suggested POS so I bought a bunch. I have a deep sand bed, about 4”, but that varies depending on where they decide to dig. I stuck all the POS in an EZ planter that I had buried about 3/4 of the way down. The Firemouth stripped every leaf off every stem and then flipped the whole planter upside down. I say that to say this, any other suggestions 😁. These fish won’t even allow duckweed.

It’s probably not the answer you wanna hear, but if they dig everything up, strip leaves off if they can’t dig it, and eat floating plants, you’re really only left with epiphytes. 

I’ve had better luck with Anubius varieties/Java Ferns/epiphytes in general that I’ve bought from local chain stores and converted to submerged grown than Anubius and Java Ferns I’ve bought from the Coop. Haven’t been able to discern why, but it’s what has worked best for me. 

I’ve pretty much come to that realization, which is fine because they are my favorite plants, and the scape is only supposed to be sparsely planted with lots of hard scape. I’ve never attempted any Buce’s so maybe I’ll go with those next. I think the coffeefolia held up where other Anubius did not because the ridged leaves gave them a little more strength.

• Like 1

Check my 75 Gallon Jack Dempsey tank link in my sig.  I’ve had better luck than expected planting into pots capped with big pebbles/small stones, but I’ve started with big plants for the best luck.  They’ve come to accept plants enough now that I have some large Anubias glued to lava rocks that they’ve somewhat left alone in there.  One is now floating loose so I need to reglue it.

9D001E6D-B5DD-46AC-A72D-62D2FD874B22.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Add pic