DYI. Aquarium Lid Hinge Size

Bev C

Hello  i am getting ready to build DYI  aquarium lids using the Polycarbonate board  i want to to use piano hinges to open  like this video below but not sure what size hinges to get  for 2 size tanks a 10 gallon and 55 gallon  

the  piano hinge samplePiano Hinge Sample

10 gallon   lid I was thinking I need 18 inch  hinge 

55 gallon  that has a black bar in middle    i need two lids i was thinking i would 2 24 inches hinges 

Am i right or wrong has anyone build these with the piano  hinges 

Edited by Bev C

@Bev C I am assuming you have the standard aqeon tanks?  I can't speak to the overall dimensions with the rims, but here is what I would suggest if you want to find hinges for them.

10G: hinge is about 19" wide with the rim. This means your hinge can be anything UNDER that size and it'll work fine.
55G: length on the versatops is 24" long x 12" depth. Hinge is actually going to be around 22"-23" long so anything under that should work.

image.png.539f25ac0f7cb9265b78f6d3925b6234.png

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 7:39 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

When I built my lids I just cut them where I wanted to open and then taped them back together. Functions just fine, although it’s not as *classy* looking as the hinges 

This is what I did as well. I used heavy duty clear packing tape, Going on at least 4 years and I have had to replace the tape on one lid. Fast, cheap easy and not have to make them any heavier. 

• Like 1

For my polycarbonate tops I used these acrylic hinges from the same store I bought the sheets. Each hinge is only about 2” wide by 1/2” on either side of the hinge.

image.jpeg.1ea7293a7b8af8415410d100ce364997.jpeg
(photo credit some random Etsy page)

Got acrylic cement at the same time for attaching hinges to tops. Two hinges on a 20” lid is enough. 

Edited by TOtrees

On 10/11/2022 at 8:04 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

How do you guys cut your acrylic sheets?  We had bad luck with power tools. The acrylic broke and we ended up with shards.

For thin (1/4” or less) sheets of acrylic I have used an acrylic scoring knife. Anything thicker I use a table saw and never had much of a problem. Masking off where the cuts will run helped me avoid any chips at the very ends of the cuts.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much everyone, for the help and info & sorry it took me a while to respond I have not been here till now  @nabokovfan87 thank you very much  for the size chart and the recommend size I do not have Aqeon  brand I have the Tetra/Aqua Culture, but the sizes are very close to the aqeon   my 10 gallon is 22X 12x13.5  and my 55 is 48x13x17

I hope I type that right … I think I am going with 18 inch hinge for 10 gallons and a  20 inch for both  sides - on the 55 gallon ... I tried to buy the Polycarbonate board at   Lowes or Home Depot in my area they do not carry in the store you have to order online and pick up or get it delivered  

I have not had time to build these yet, but It might be my cousin's and I winter project after the holidays 

• Like 1