Anybody live in Chicago?

MattyM

On 10/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, Hally M. said:

What kind of fish do you keep?

Smaller community fish and heavily planted tanks. My tanks are pretty small at 10 and 20g. I'm currently building an army of platies, but I also have ember tetras and am looking to expand. I have a new tank in the works, and will be adding to my existing tanks once I figure out the platy fry situation. Everything is so happy and healthy I'm just enjoying the ride and not rushing anything. Thanks for the note!

On 10/11/2022 at 11:05 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Doesn’t Chicago have a fish club?

I think there's a cichlid club, but cichlids aren't really my thing. There's a much bigger club outside the city, but it's like a 60-90 minute drive and I don't always have a car available. You'd think there would be more. 

On 10/11/2022 at 6:38 PM, MattyM said:

Smaller community fish and heavily planted tanks. My tanks are pretty small at 10 and 20g. I'm currently building an army of platies, but I also have ember tetras and am looking to expand. I have a new tank in the works, and will be adding to my existing tanks once I figure out the platy fry situation. Everything is so happy and healthy I'm just enjoying the ride and not rushing anything. Thanks for the note!

I think there's a cichlid club, but cichlids aren't really my thing. There's a much bigger club outside the city, but it's like a 60-90 minute drive and I don't always have a car available. You'd think there would be more. 

Start your own !

I know , easy to say, hard to do.

⚠️Idealistic youngster ALERT!

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, MattyM said:

I think there's a cichlid club, but cichlids aren't really my thing.

The GCCA is a monster of a presence for sure!  But Rick Borstein at the GCCA is a live bearer nut too.  I think the GCCA sort of acts as a meeting spot for more diverse interests as well.  There is a planted tank group, but I don't know if that's the one you were to that meets to far away (they also got to the GCCA swap meets, if memory serves).  I think there is also the Greenwater Society, which I ran into at Aquashella last weekend.  If none of those 3 groups are your place, they will know who else is out there and I'll bet you'll find someone who would be willing to help you figure out if the right group exists.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 12:22 PM, MattyM said:

Hi all - I live in Chicago, north side Wicker/Humboldt Park area. Anybody else? Just looking for folks to meet and swap with. 

I live bout an hour from chicago. Dont have many fish friends. What size tank(s) do you have? I have a male ablino brislenose im considering to trade for a female. If youd like to off load some platy fry ill take some off your hands! Ive got a 55 gal so they will have plenty of room to grow. In the process of adding more plants too.

Edited by MannyThakk

Hi @MannyThakk - that sounds great! I have a 20 long, 10 gallon, and am setting up a 20 high - basically building a little fish wall in my home office. Each tank has different substrate, plants, and filtration (tho each has a sponge filter) so I can figure out what I like before going any bigger. 

Just send me a message if/when you'd like the fry - they are super healthy. May be a challenge to catch in my heavily planted tank but we'll get em! If you'd like some stem plant clipping I can prob give you some too. 

On 10/19/2022 at 9:37 AM, MattyM said:

Hi @MannyThakk - that sounds great! I have a 20 long, 10 gallon, and am setting up a 20 high - basically building a little fish wall in my home office. Each tank has different substrate, plants, and filtration (tho each has a sponge filter) so I can figure out what I like before going any bigger. 

Just send me a message if/when you'd like the fry - they are super healthy. May be a challenge to catch in my heavily planted tank but we'll get em! If you'd like some stem plant clipping I can prob give you some too. 

Thanks alot that would be great! Im still pretty new when it comes to plants so all the help and tips would be great! I work in the south side of chicago (nights unfortunately) so that does make pick up a bit easier so you wouldnt have to go anywhere