Is my Mystery Snail okay?

Millie

So this is my Mystery Snail, Puck, and over the last day or so I've noticed that he's not moving around; he's out of his shell but he's in this weird seated-looking position with his foot curled and squished, the water parameters are okay and temperature is fine, I did a water change over the weekend and now I'm worried he's been irritated by it or something is wrong? He's not reacting to food, but he retreats into his shell when his tankmate or I nudge him. Is there any way to know if he's okay?

20221010_130339.jpeg

20221010_132144.jpeg

I’m sorry this is happening. Unfortunately no he is not ok. I have had this happen for different reasons. Usually it is age or mineral need not being met. I’ve seen others have it happen due to chemicals/meds. He is becoming paralyzed. The times I have seen it they pass within 2 weeks. I’ve only had 1 recover. I placed them in a hospital tank with wondershell, a touch of epsom salt and liquid calcium carbonate. I’ve provided mushy veggies and wafers. 
edit I lost 3 this way once when my water company treated the water with chemicals. I did not find out until the monthly newsletter Where they announced their issue was resolved because they had treated the water.

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Ahh! Is there anything I can do to help him? I have cuttlebone in the filter area of my tank, and I've been using liquid calcium with each water change plus those little mineral cubes for turtles and snails; if Puck passes and I get a new snail, is there anything I can look out for or do to make sure it stays alive longer?

On 10/10/2022 at 3:29 PM, Guppysnail said:

Best I’ve been able to determine it’s lack of magnesium that causes spasms paralysis based on humans can get the same. Total educated guess though. Nano blocks or epsom salt contain magnesium 

Do you have any links to products that would help? I'm getting an Amazon cart ready with tank gear!

• Like 1

Oh

On 10/10/2022 at 5:03 PM, Guppysnail said:

Zoomed nano banquet. Has calcium and magnesium it’s edible and dissolves. I Keep one in the tank. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh perfect thank you, and this will help raise magnesium and calcium in the tank, or should I get something else as well? I have a 5 gallon and right now the levels are steady with no ammonia nitrates or anything, but since the tankmate is a betta it's hard to get the PH up to 7.5ish

On 10/10/2022 at 5:29 PM, Guppysnail said:

For a 5 gallon those are fine. More is to much in a small tank. 
it will be fine for your betta. Dietary is most important for snails 

Thank you so much for your help, I've made an Amazon cart with the nano blocks and crab cuisine, and I've bought something that'll keep the PH up as well for the next snail's shell because Puck's had an eroding problem 

• Like 1

That’s tough. My success was only with one that was not that bad. The rest I wait because all euthanasia methods for snails seem painful. They say freezing they go to sleep but hypothermia is painful for humans so I just don’t know. Try the banquet blocks first. Sit him on them. He can still retract so there may be hope. 🤞🏻

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 5:38 PM, Millie said:

Thank you so much for your help, I've made an Amazon cart with the nano blocks and crab cuisine, and I've bought something that'll keep the PH up as well for the next snail's shell because Puck's had an eroding problem 

If you can add a Wondershell on as well, that could be helpful.  (You only need to put a chunk in the 5gal, not the whole shell.)

Will do! Does anyone have a reliable source for monitoring the Calcium and Magnesium levels in a tank? I bought one of those test kits but can't seem to find anything online that says what Ppm I should be looking for in a 5 gallon tank.