On 12/5/2022 at 12:58 PM, Colu said:

Dose the jungle fungus clear fizz tab's based on water volume if your treating a 10 gallon tank add 1 table of jungle fungus  on day 3 25% water change  add 1 fizz tab and one scoop of kanaplex per 10 gallons on day  4 add 1 fizz tab per 10gallons and on day 5 25% water change add 1 fizz tab and 1 scoop of kanaplex per 10 gallons 

Hi @Colu wow this thread and the previous has gotten me thru 10 days of treatment for my neons…on day 5 of treatment and need to double check dosing!!! Eeek! I had read it as a DOUBLE dose of jungle fizz on Day 5 with kanaplex. Is this wrong!?!?

On 1/17/2023 at 12:12 AM, OBXfishkeeper said:

Hi @Colu wow this thread and the previous has gotten me thru 10 days of treatment for my neons…on day 5 of treatment and need to double check dosing!!! Eeek! I had read it as a DOUBLE dose of jungle fizz on Day 5 with kanaplex. Is this wrong!?!?

If your going off the instructions on the box for jungal fungus clear fizz tabs it say to treat on day 1 and  day 4 so that's why I add the extra doses on day two three and five   so just use one table for 10 gallons on day 5 

Edited by Colu

On 1/17/2023 at 12:59 AM, OBXfishkeeper said:

Thanks so much for such a quick reply! Do you think quick water change to correct dosing…50% too much at once?

I would just do a 25% water change that should be sufficient as the amount of nitrofurazone in jungal fungus is under dosed that's why I add the extra doses day two three and five 

Edited by Colu

On 1/16/2023 at 8:07 PM, OBXfishkeeper said:

Whew! Got it! Everyone in the hospital tank seems alright (same condition as before) so I’ll do that 25% change asap 🙂

thank you so so much for all these details and being so committed to helping!  Very grateful to find this post!

Hang in there @OBXfishkeeper! You’re on the right track. Extra airstone if you can. That will help a lot.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the help and feedback!
A couple questions plus some background on my situation for other future readers 🙂

Added carbon to filter and did 50% water change to start taking out meds today…I had done a full round of API EM Erythromycin, 1st course of API General Cure (when I thought maybe neon tetra disease and before seeing the info on columnaris; ruled out NTD after losing 1st fish and seeing spread and progression with 2nd fish that died) Just finished a single round of the 5 Day Kanaplex & Jungle Fungus Treatment.

I still have 4 out of the 7 neons I started with (plus 3 mollies who are healthy and happy in main tank): 2 neons that seem healthy and robust, 1 that is okay (active, eating and schooling a bit) but something seems “off” and then one who has unfortunately lost most of his back fin and tail seems slightly crippled so he is having a very difficult time staying upright. 

This last one is trying so hard and putting up quite the fight, but isn’t able to school and is considerably smaller than the others. He’s trying to eat and even tries to greet me 🙂

Any tips on improving this little guy’s condition or helping with feeding? I’m dosing a little aquarium salt & will add the extra airstone first thing tomorrow.

I was considering adding a couple live plants but am nervous to change too much or add anything that might reintroduce bacteria or something risky. Thoughts?

I put some gravel from my main tank in the hospital tank when this all first started; I have an extra small sponge in the main tank still that I’ve been holding off using; been able to keep my ammonia in check so far. should I use it now in the hospital tank or is this risking cross contamination or reinfection? 

Also, I am supposed to do a 2nd round of API General Cure 2-3 weeks after the 1st. Should I bother with that or give these guys a break from all the medication?

Sorry long winded, this has been an overwhelming experience…1st tank, 6 weeks to properly fishless cycle, and in my 1st week of starting to stock I’d only had my neons 2 or 3 days before seeing signs of illness and losing 1st fish. All stocking plans haulted of course.  it’s been a steep, swift learning curve on quarantining and buying from a reputable source to say the least. On the bright side I was able to pull the school before it spread to my Mollies, I have an assorted stock of meds and full quarantine setup for when I get to the other side of this! 🙂

Edited by OBXfishkeeper
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:08 AM, OBXfishkeeper said:

Thanks so much for the help and feedback!
A couple questions plus some background on my situation for other future readers 🙂

Added carbon to filter and did 50% water change to start taking out meds today…I had done a full round of API EM Erythromycin, 1st course of API General Cure (when I thought maybe neon tetra disease and before seeing the info on columnaris; ruled out NTD after losing 1st fish and seeing spread and progression with 2nd fish that died) Just finished a single round of the 5 Day Kanaplex & Jungle Fungus Treatment.

I still have 4 out of the 7 neons I started with (plus 3 mollies who are healthy and happy in main tank): 2 neons that seem healthy and robust, 1 that is okay (active, eating and schooling a bit) but something seems “off” and then one who has unfortunately lost most of his back fin and tail seems slightly crippled so he is having a very difficult time staying upright. 

This last one is trying so hard and putting up quite the fight, but isn’t able to school and is considerably smaller than the others. He’s trying to eat and even tries to greet me 🙂

Any tips on improving this little guy’s condition or helping with feeding? I’m dosing a little aquarium salt & will add the extra airstone first thing tomorrow.

I was considering adding a couple live plants but am nervous to change too much or add anything that might reintroduce bacteria or something risky. Thoughts?

I put some gravel from my main tank in the hospital tank when this all first started; I have an extra small sponge in the main tank still that I’ve been holding off using; been able to keep my ammonia in check so far. should I use it now in the hospital tank or is this risking cross contamination or reinfection? 

Also, I am supposed to do a 2nd round of API General Cure 2-3 weeks after the 1st. Should I bother with that or give these guys a break from all the medication?

Sorry long winded, this has been an overwhelming experience…1st tank, 6 weeks to properly fishless cycle, and in my 1st week of starting to stock I’d only had my neons 2 or 3 days before seeing signs of illness and losing 1st fish. All stocking plans haulted of course.  it’s been a steep, swift learning curve on quarantining and buying from a reputable source to say the least. On the bright side I was able to pull the school before it spread to my Mollies, I have an assorted stock of meds and full quarantine setup for when I get to the other side of this! 🙂

Frist you could put your neon tetra in a breed box try and target feed him with a dropper and some frozen or live foods such as brine shrimp Cyclops micro worms micro pellets you might have to follow up with a second course of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs if your fish are still showing symptoms columnaris can last for upto 30 days in a fish tank with out a host so i would leave it a minimum of 6 weeks after you see  the last symptoms before adding any new  fish to that tank just if you do a second course of treatment after that I would leave the aquarium salt at 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for another week 

On 1/17/2023 at 8:08 PM, OBXfishkeeper said:

I’m dosing a little aquarium salt & will add the extra airstone first thing tomorrow.

This is all I’d do for now, since they just completed a course of meds. You don’t want to stress them again yet with other meds. Salt will help with healing and electrolytes. Do keep an eye on ammonia when using salt. You may start to get readings because the beneficial bacteria slow down with salt. They do recover but it takes time. If you get readings, water changes with Prime will combat the ammonia.

If things progress, I would go with the JF/Kanaplex second course but not the general cure or erythromycin. JF/Kanaplex specifically target columnaris. 

Go with plastic ones. The salt will kill the live ones, and anything from quarantine needs to be sanitized before going back into your other tanks. They will still appreciate plastic ones for cover. You can use old aquarium ornaments too for them to hide in/around. Or ceramic pots (unglazed).

I have an extra small sponge in the main tank still that I’ve been holding off using; been able to keep my ammonia in check so far. should I use it now in the hospital tank or is this risking cross contamination or reinfection? 

I wouldn’t think so. It’s my understanding that columnaris exists/can exist in every tank; it’s just a matter of fishes’ immune systems whether they succumb to it. Fish are particularly vulnerable when they’ve travelled, whether being shipping or just being brought home from a store. @Colu can you weigh in on moving the sponge?

Since your one guy without the tail is having a hard time, pay attention to how the others treat him. They may bully him, and that will make him sicker. Just something to watch out for, as that’s what happened with my crew, and the sickest guy wasn’t able to eat because they wouldn’t allow him. A tank divider could be an option. That way everyone can continue treatment together if needed.

1st tank, 6 weeks to properly fishless cycle, and in my 1st week of starting to stock I’d only had my neons 2 or 3 days before seeing signs of illness and losing 1st fish

Oh man, that’s the pits. But you did your homework, moved them to quarantine, and that saved the mollies. Great job!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Thank you thank you!!!
All 4 are looking good this AM! Did another 25% water change first thing and plan to do another later today. Water still blueish despite two carbon filters strapped to sponge filter. prepped a diy breeder box in case I see my little guy getting bullied. He seems to be sticking with the school and following along alright for now but tbd if he can consistently get to the food without help. There was a little chasing between the 2 largest but I’m just glad to see them darting around a bit. A couple pics if you see anything I need to add/do differently. (Bought an extra air stone but they were out of splitters…will have to trouble shoot that tonight.)

E34CA8C4-654F-43EA-9781-C532C7B4E669.jpeg

082C5080-1C4C-4CF5-BBDA-001C20084513.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 11:33 AM, OBXfishkeeper said:

Thank you thank you!!!
All 4 are looking good this AM! Did another 25% water change first thing and plan to do another later today. Water still blueish despite two carbon filters strapped to sponge filter. prepped a diy breeder box in case I see my little guy getting bullied. He seems to be sticking with the school and following along alright for now but tbd if he can consistently get to the food without help. There was a little chasing between the 2 largest but I’m just glad to see them darting around a bit. A couple pics if you see anything I need to add/do differently. (Bought an extra air stone but they were out of splitters…will have to trouble shoot that tonight.)

E34CA8C4-654F-43EA-9781-C532C7B4E669.jpeg

082C5080-1C4C-4CF5-BBDA-001C20084513.jpeg

They are looking good. I do disinfect my sponges after quarantine with a mild bleach solution, then I flush well with tap water and let dry completely. Bleach = chlorine, and when you use the sponge next time with your dechlorinator the chlorine is removed, if any was still on there. Peroxide is good too!

Your quarantine setup looks good. Looks a lot like mine. Does your lid have holes?

It will take time for that little bit of blue to go away with water changes. 

This was my setup

0BE471B8-04C8-448A-89A9-62B2228926C7.jpeg

• 3 months later...

IM BACK!!!

I swear to God it's been back to back whack a mole with diseases in my tanks for over a year now. I'm coming back to this thread because the columnaris is FINALLY GONE!!!!!! in my other tanks, but my 75gal has something going on. Admittedly it's overstocked so that doesn't help.

The symptoms are like...a gross gnarly rotting on the snout and tails of my panda melon barbs and Persian killifish. Looks like when you skin your knee real bad, kind of meaty and red but not very deep.

I also had the same thing happen to my Apisto hongsloi pair in a different tank (since torn down). Those two died and looked really miserable by the end -- not to be upsetting, but their faces basically rotted off.

I've tried culling the affected fish, I've tried keeping the water really clean, and I just finished a three-dose round of Kanaplex with absolutely no change. I've attached pics. @Colu, @Chick-In-Of-TheSea, what demon disease am I dealing with now?! 

IMG_1450.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg

IMG_1456.jpeg

IMG_1457.jpeg

IMG_1459.jpeg

IMG_1471.jpeg

IMG_1472.jpeg

Looks like it  could be aeromonas it's a gram negative anaerobic bacteria that a fast moving bacteria  what I would do is a course of metroplex to treat the tank   as the active ingredient in metroplex metronidazole treat's aeromonas and do a course of maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days combination of two very effective at treating aeromonas @Mahi27

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Colu! Can I use repashy for the food mix? Or maybe the boiling water would be a problem for the meds?

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea they are on a mix of play sand, aqua soil, and smooth gravel. But the tank is kind of a thunderdome of barbs and danios and rainbows, so stress and bickering may have set this off. Definitely going to move some fish out once they're all healthy. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 10:36 PM, Mahi27 said:

Thank you @Colu! Can I use repashy for the food mix? Or maybe the boiling water would be a problem for the meds?

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea they are on a mix of play sand, aqua soil, and smooth gravel. But the tank is kind of a thunderdome of barbs and danios and rainbows, so stress and bickering may have set this off. Definitely going to move some fish out once they're all healthy. 

If your going to use repashy mix the medication in as it starts to thicken that when the repashy starts to rapidly losing heat 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just want to report I've been using @Colu your treatment regimen and it's helping. I think it's going to take a while to treat, maybe another week or two, but my sweet barbs do seem to be healing up. I'll post pics soon so ppl who are curious can see what a healing bacterial infection looks like. Super grateful 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Super hard to get a good photo without putting them in specimen containers again, but I've attached pics of the two barbs whose wounds are better but still look bad. One has it at the base of his tail and the other has his snout eaten away. @Colu, should I keep medicating? I've been doing the food mix 2x a day and Metroplex every other day since like April 25. Maybe I should try Maracyn now?

Also I just realized I hijacked a thread about columnaris to troubleshoot a different issue...my bad. I can start a new thread if preferred

IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1563.jpeg

IMG_1564.jpeg

IMG_1597.jpeg

As no other fish have developed symptoms what I would do is quarantine these two stop treating with maracyn2 finish three 3 week course of metroplex  add aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for one week after you have finished the full of metroplex if your noticing no improvement then I would switch to maracyn @Mahi27

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...