On 11/8/2022 at 7:30 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Took an ammonia reading before the 50% water change.  It was zero.  Hmph.

The flashing could be because of damage to the Gills caused by the previous ammonia spike 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

This disease is a monster. 

Everybody seems to be on the mend except the pseudomugils, so I moved them to a qt tank. They have a lot of fin damage but I think most of it is probably aggression from being in an overcrowded tank (remember I had consolidated a couple populations to reduce total number of gallons needing to be medicated). 

The couple who had clear external damage from the columnaris are still healing little by little. I am just keeping them in clean water for now with daily water changes. No salt. We'll see how they do. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 11/11/2022 at 4:38 PM, Mahi27 said:

This disease is a monster. 

Everybody seems to be on the mend except the pseudomugils, so I moved them to a qt tank. They have a lot of fin damage but I think most of it is probably aggression from being in an overcrowded tank (remember I had consolidated a couple populations to reduce total number of gallons needing to be medicated). 

The couple who had clear external damage from the columnaris are still healing little by little. I am just keeping them in clean water for now with daily water changes. No salt. We'll see how they do. 

If it's fin damage caused by aggression I would add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons just with the pseudomugils to provent secondary bacteria fin rot if there fin are quite bad 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He does look better. I admire the amount of dedication and care you're providing this one little tetra. Lol. I think he'll pull through. 

My pseudomugils are doing a lot better. The fin tearing had to be aggression-caused because as soon as I moved them into quarantine they have almost all healed up. Unfortunately, the two that showed external injuries from columnaris did not make it and died shortly after the transition. I have 9 or 10 left out of an original school of 14. Could be worse. But it does seem to confirm my suspicion that once a fish has anything worse than scale damage, there's no turning back, even if the wounds start to improve. 😕

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/16/2022 at 1:58 PM, Mahi27 said:

He does look better. I admire the amount of dedication and care you're providing this one little tetra. Lol. I think he'll pull through. 

My pseudomugils are doing a lot better. The fin tearing had to be aggression-caused because as soon as I moved them into quarantine they have almost all healed up. Unfortunately, the two that showed external injuries from columnaris did not make it and died shortly after the transition. I have 9 or 10 left out of an original school of 14. Could be worse. But it does seem to confirm my suspicion that once a fish has anything worse than scale damage, there's no turning back, even if the wounds start to improve. 😕

Sorry you had some losses. At least it wasn't a whole tank wipe, and as I recall you had a lot of tanks affected, actually.

On 11/16/2022 at 1:58 PM, Mahi27 said:

Thank you. ❤️ Even though he has showed symptoms, he had never "acted sick" - he's always been high energy, social, eager to eat.  He did demonstrate flashing for a period of time, but he's never gotten to a point (lethargy) where I was worried he would meet the end.  These black neons are super resilient.  I think it might be soon time to move him into the "recovery unit" which is a snail/shrimp tank.  They cannot get columnaris, but I think he's past that anyway. I think what I see now are the scars that it leaves behind, and they keep improving.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 7:59 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I feel like an idiot, but trying to dose kanaplex and I can't get the directions straight.  😞

Dosing it every 48 hours.  I know you have been going through it with all the treatments and I just wanted to say nice work @Chick-In-Of-TheSea it's not fun to deal with severe gram negative diseases.

Thanks. You are treating fin rot in a swordtail right?

On 11/17/2022 at 5:05 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Thanks. You are treating fin rot in a swordtail right?

Yeah.  Tank is finally clear enough to take photos and stuff.  I did 2 days of erythromycin + salt. and today is day 2 of kanaplex + salt (ran out of erythromycin).

Meds seem to be helping, but it's my tank with the pandas and grace the shark and I just don't want to see it pop on fry or other fish in my tanks.  I have a male in that tank I need to move to the black corydoras tank and so it's the type of situation where I need to do what I can to clear it out.  It's very, very, very likely damage and stress from shipping and new water parameters, but we'll see how things develop.  I see improvement, but I fully expect to need 3 full treatments right now.

• Sad 1

I started a drip acc to move the guy to recovery unit. 10 minutes into it I realized I have a 4 degree temp difference whereas I used to have none. I’m now keeping recovery unit lower due to shrimps in there. So I panicked and cancelled the process, worried he’d wind up with ick or something due to the change. So he’s back in the qt tote again. 🫤

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

I have an 80gal tank that I put 10 guppies in the make sure things were safe before I added my more expensive fish. I think the guppies have this columnaris. I lost two and just started the med trio before I noticed the "scaly patch" on one of the guppies. I just lost another today. I don't want to treat the 80gal with the Jungle Fungus and Kanaplex. I can move them to a 5 gal tank but I'm wondering if my 80gal is now not safe for the new fish which I have in a 10gal and they are doing fine so far.

Thanks for the help.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/1/2022 at 10:47 PM, arielroxi said:

I have an 80gal tank that I put 10 guppies in the make sure things were safe before I added my more expensive fish. I think the guppies have this columnaris. I lost two and just started the med trio before I noticed the "scaly patch" on one of the guppies. I just lost another today. I don't want to treat the 80gal with the Jungle Fungus and Kanaplex. I can move them to a 5 gal tank but I'm wondering if my 80gal is now not safe for the new fish which I have in a 10gal and they are doing fine so far.

Thanks for the help.

You can move your guppies to the 5 gallon and treat them columnaris can survive without a host for up to 30 days in a your  tank so I wouldn't put fish back in your main tank for at least 5 weeks to be on the safe side 

Wow. I have 5 Bleeding heart and 5 Dwarf Neon rainbow in a 10 gal. Will they be ok for 5 weeks. I do have a 30gal with about 10 kubati and 8 harlequin if I need to move them to a bigger tank. Thank you so much for your quick response. I hope I can get the medication in time. 

On 12/1/2022 at 11:11 PM, arielroxi said:

Wow. I have 5 Bleeding heart and 5 Dwarf Neon rainbow in a 10 gal. Will they be ok for 5 weeks. I do have a 30gal with about 10 kubati and 8 harlequin if I need to move them to a bigger tank. Thank you so much for your quick response. I hope I can get the medication in time. 

I think they will be fine for 5 weeks just keep a close eye on your water parameters