What do you use to watch your fish?

TheSwissAquarist

My bed. XD The tank is against the wall that runs alongside my bed, so it is at perfect viewing angle when I lay down. During feeding time, I sit on the floor and watch up close, though. When the fish see my face get close to the glass, they know it's time to eat.

My exact view when laying down (which I am doing as I type XD ) -- This was meant to be a colon and parentheses, but the system helpfully turned it into a sad face and will not let me delete it LOL >>  😞

20221010_190154.jpg

Edited by Miranda Marie
Unintentional frowning face
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

I set up my 40 as a peninsula tank in the middle of my home office, so I've got a desk chair on one side and a padded folding chair on the other. Plus a stool for the kiddo to stand on and feed the fish an algae wafer every day. Sitting on the stool also gets me closer to eye level with the fish, great for keeping still to watch the skittish ones come out.

Right now I'm sitting on the folding chair with the 40 on one side of me and the pico reef on the other. It doesn't get much better than this!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 10:30 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have an inexpensive blue tooth endoscope from Amazon my hubby got for me. It’s really fun. 

On 10/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, billango said:

I have not done this yet but I've been thinking about getting a probe camera/endoscope to peep in on an underwater view of my fish..

I briefly mounted an endoscope inside the aquarium.  The clarity was better than expected, and it was fun to watch the fish come by to check out the camera.  For one brief moment, it was like watching JAWS as the Silver Dollars attempted to eat it. I really did not think their mouths were that big. 

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 10/11/2022 at 3:24 PM, Tanked said:

I briefly mounted an endoscope inside the aquarium.  The clarity was better than expected, and it was fun to watch the fish come by to check out the camera.  For one brief moment, it was like watching JAWS as the Silver Dollars attempted to eat it. I really did not think their mouths were that big. 

Did you ever have to scrub algae from it?

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 8:35 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’d settle for a nice big peninsula aquarium as a room divider. 

Absolutely this!  A giant wall/aquarium would just have so much algae as an actual wall! I could only imagine all the noise / vibrations carrying through the wall as well. 😞

For me...

I have a chair I sit right opposite the aquarium that I use to sit.  If not, I'm on my knees on a memory foam mat that I have sitting at the front of the tank.  Needless to say, if you build a nice seat, you'll spend time sitting there enjoying the tank!

I would recommend stools and chairs, nice things for your feet to rest on, a little table or something (in my case the water change stool) to set things on.  ENJOY IT!  Spend time staring at the tanks. It's so interesting and such an enjoyable little segment of the day when you can have coffee/beverage and hang out and just destress.

Countless times, I'll literally just sit on the mat and enjoy the fish. 🙂

On 10/11/2022 at 10:03 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Did you ever have to scrub algae from it?

No, It was a brief fun experiment.  The endoscope I used had several drawbacks The two biggest being that my phone is the only bluetooth device I have, and the endoscope had a painfully slow refresh rate.  I opted to repurpose a wifi camera outside of the aquarium. Enclosed in a box to remove reflections.  The setup isn't pretty, but the imagery and options are much better.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 7:36 AM, Hally M. said:

Holy moly I’m so jealous of your tank!! Your hard scape is SO perfect for everything @Miranda Marie

Aww, thank you! That's so nice of you to say. It's the accumulated effort of the last three years. XD It's been changed, added to, subtracted from, and rearranged at least a dozen times in that time span, and now I am finally happy with it! It took forever but it was definitely worth it in the end. 

I used an old chair my partner found by the side of the road a long time ago.  It has some kind of important history (he likes wooden things and architectural/design history...I do too but I don't remember the history behind this special, free chair).  I carry it from room to room to watch my different tanks.  It's very difficult to sneak up on my fish...I usually just have to sit there motionless until they "forget" I'm there.

Edited by Jess
  • Like 2

Uh, my eyes? I had to be that guy, sorry! 

The aquarium is in the corner of our living room, and we have a corner sofa. You can pretty much sit anywhere and see it, but one seat is closest to it. I usually sit there for a bit after I feed them and watch. I do have a little square ottoman/storage box I sit on when feeding and stuff like that. I have several herniated discs, so it helps keep me from having to bend down as much. 

• Like 2