What do you use to watch your fish?

TheSwissAquarist

On 10/9/2022 at 2:32 PM, Guppysnail said:

I flip whatever 5 gallon bucket is closest over 😝

I’m Β even currently looking at a CUSHION for a fold out chair 🀣🀣🀣

This is ME, lol. I've got a Lowes bucket that I've had so long it cracked, and instead of throwing it out, it became my go-to stool in the fishroom. I've also been known to use salt buckets if I'm too lazy to put it away.

The goal is to get a rolling stool from Lowe's with a cushion at some point, but how can I spend money on that when there's so many fishy items I need?

Oh, and I've been known to lay down on my belly like a kid when watching tanks on the floor.

• Like 1

Ideally I would like my tanks to be part of my day to day life. In my perfect layout the tanks would be along the main traffic and work areas of the house. I’d be washing up the dishes and a tank would be there, folding clothes and a tank would be there, another tank visible from my reading spot etc. Β I’ve managed this to a certain degree, but I still constantly think about making it better.Β 
Β 

Β 

• Like 5

On 10/9/2022 at 8:20 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’d be washing up the dishes and a tank would be there,

I had the shrimp tank by the sink next to the kettle and really enjoyed the amount of passive observation this allowed but my kitchen is very short on work surface so I was forever cleaning cooking splashes off it. And worried about it getting knocked when cleaning large pans

• Like 1

I use step stools and footstools and such. I had a wonderful wide folding painter bench in front of my 120 tank. They were both 6 feet long. I couldn't more than my forearm in the tank without standing on that.

I also like my little toy "glass bottom boat" with a magnifier in it for looking in my tanks from above. It irons out water ripples and is great for finding air stones that escape while cleaning sponge filters. You can NOT let anyone play with it in the bathtub ! You don't want soap in the fish tanks.

Not only does it make viewing from the above simple, and finding stuff on the bottom easy, the wheel and props really really work (if you turn them by hand).

117271740_toyboat.jpg.3cca9b1288fb3df542f89bb4549f03b9.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0D3T16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Β 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2022 at 12:35 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I had the shrimp tank by the sink next to the kettle and really enjoyed the amount of passive observation this allowed but my kitchen is very short on work surface so I was forever cleaning cooking splashes off it. And worried about it getting knocked when cleaning large pans

πŸ˜„Β I had the same issue, I liked having a little shrimp tank on the kitchen counter, but it was in the way, and hard to clean around. If we ever get a new kitchen I'll try to include a space specifically for a tank.Β 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 3:16 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I use step stools and footstools and such. I had a wonderful wide folding painter bench in front of my 120 tank. They were both 6 feet long. I couldn't more than my forearm in the tank without standing on that.

I also like my little toy "glass bottom boat" with a magnifier in it for looking in my tanks from above. It irons out water ripples and is great for finding air stones that escape while cleaning sponge filters. You can NOT let anyone play with it in the bathtub ! You don't want soap in the fish tanks.

Not only does it make viewing from the above simple, and finding stuff on the bottom easy, the wheel and props really really work (if you turn them by hand).

117271740_toyboat.jpg.3cca9b1288fb3df542f89bb4549f03b9.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0D3T16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Β 

that little boat is not a bad idea, not necessarily for viewing but would be great for use while setting up a tank with water in it. it is always sort of guess work looking down into a tank trying to scape it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@lefty oΒ If you don't like the look of a toy boat as a tool, you can get a large square snack jar and empty it and fill it with HOT water and peel the label off.Β  We used them as the tide was going out to watch a large area of the bottom for fish and critters.Β  Also good for holding treasures like kite string on the way to the beach and seashells on the way home.Β  Add a minnow trap and scraps from the seafood store and you can set up an ever changing aquarium for the afternoon.Β  (In the shade, and monitor the temp. If the fish slow down or hanging at the surface just start over with new water and new things from the minnow trap.)

On 10/9/2022 at 9:20 PM, Patrick_G said:

Ideally I would like my tanks to be part of my day to day life. In my perfect layout the tanks would be along the main traffic and work areas of the house. I’d be washing up the dishes and a tank would be there, folding clothes and a tank would be there, another tank visible from my reading spot etc. Β I’ve managed this to a certain degree, but I still constantly think about making it better.Β 
Β 

Β 

Walls made out of aquariums would be so much fun πŸ˜‚

• Love 1

I had a new office chair that never made it into the office. Later a new recliner in front of the TV was positioned to watch the tv and the larger fish.Β  A wifi camera allows me to watch the small fish in the planted tank from my phone or from my office.

As much as I liked watching the fish up close, fishy business is completely different when they don't know we are watching.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, billango said:

I have not done this yet but I've been thinking about getting a probe camera/endoscope to peep in on an underwater view of my fish..

I have an inexpensive blue tooth endoscope from Amazon my hubby got for me. It’s really fun.Β 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 4:30 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have an inexpensive blue tooth endoscope from Amazon my hubby got for me. It’s really fun.Β 

I really like the idea of a periscope (⚠️Idealistic Youngster ALERT!) where you look through one end, say above the dining table, and you can see the inside of your aquarium one floor up.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:24 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Walls made out of aquariums would be so much fun πŸ˜‚

I’m with ya!Β 
I’d settle for a nice big peninsula aquarium as a room divider.Β 
Moderator @DanielΒ has a spectacular one that’s 500 gallons and 8’ long with the plumbing built into the slab of his house. It’s about as close as you can get to a aquarium wall.Β 

• Like 1

My 20g long is on the bar between kitchen and dining area so I can see it easily from the table but also while I work in the kitchen.Β 

In another room, I have one tank I sit on the floor to watch; I often have my AM coffee there in criss-cross-applesauce pose.

I also have three non-display tanks I can watch from my rowing machine or from this fine piece of furniture:

Stool.jpg.75fc8d4d16964a1118f8fa8d8c47f78b.jpg

It's not too comfy but it fits in the space and is easily portable to sit up close and personal for those constant gonopodium checks in my juveniles tanks. Couldn't have gotten 20-year old me to believe that this would ever be an advantage in a piece of furniture, LOL.

Β