Honey Gourami & Female Betta

GBrymer

On 10/9/2022 at 4:06 PM, Zzsharks said:

honey gouramis are not categorized as aggressive fish.You should by a larg breeding

I’m sorry @Zzsharks, but I have to disagree with you on that count. A friend tried that and I ended up buying his 2 betta females off him because they wouldn’t live together without trying to kill each other! (I did go on to breed them so…)

Maybe we both got (un)lucky?

On 10/9/2022 at 10:43 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’m sorry @Zzsharks, but I have to disagree with you on that count. A friend tried that and I ended up buying his 2 betta females off him because they wouldn’t live together without trying to kill each other! (I did go on to breed them so…)

Maybe we both got (un)lucky?

betta are aggressive,yes. But honey gouramis are not

• Confused 1

I have 5 honeys (1 m and 4 f) in with a female dumbo betta. It has been set up for over a year with these fish.  Heavily planted 40G  

That being said I did have to swap out my female betta for another in the first couple months when the tank was being stocked. So it does depend on the fish as much as the set up  

With only a single betta and a single gourami you might see more aggression as the betta (most likely aggressor) will have a specific fish to focus on.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 3:17 PM, NofishB4 said:

I have 5 honeys (1 m and 4 f) in with a female dumbo betta. It has been set up for over a year with these fish.  Heavily planted 40G  

That being said I did have to swap out my female betta for another in the first couple months when the tank was being stocked. So it does depend on the fish as much as the set up  

With only a single betta and a single gourami you might see more aggression as the betta (most likely aggressor) will have a specific fish to focus on.  

Any pictures going?? I love seeing other members aquariums!!

C5E40F50-040A-423F-84DE-E53C3014D1AA.jpeg

On 10/16/2022 at 3:20 PM, NofishB4 said:

C5E40F50-040A-423F-84DE-E53C3014D1AA.jpeg

😍I love the way how the cardinals contrast against the green plants and black background!

Edited by TheSwissAquarist

On 10/16/2022 at 3:25 PM, NofishB4 said:

Thank you!!  It took me a long time to dial in the stocking of this tank. Discovered that I really do prefer the large schools of a few species vs several small schools of different fish. I’m very pleased with how it turned out. 

I totally agree with you on that one! My second tank was a 63 gal with 6 of each small tetra which I found in my LFS.

These days I’d rather go for 50 neons or 30 rummy nose