Crazy filtration idea

k0olmini

Okay community, tell me this is either a bad idea, unnecessary, or over complicated. What IF we combined a cannister filter WITH an undergravel filter. Attach the intake of the cannister filter to the lift tube of the undergravel. This way there is more water flow through the substrate, this would essentially use the substrate as a big prefilter sponger. What are we thinking here? 

I’ve seen and done many ugf experiments myself and my take has always remained the same. There’s nothing wrong with trying it but it already functions as it’s supposed to for most tanks. I’ve recently learned many people even feel it more effective to lessen the flow rather then speed it up, so honestly, currently I run 4 with a plan for 3 more shortly and I run them as is. Depending on what your goal is would determine the effectiveness I suppose, more mechanical? More biological? Polishing? Removing impurities from water column? Increasing flow? Regardless I say, if it’s going to make your hobby more fun try it out and see if it works for you, just my take on it, I’m summary I don’t see it as being necessary, but sometimes it’s just fun to try new things…

• Like 1