Bristlenose covered in unknown illness

Logan Kendrick

I suddenly have two super reds covered in these spots they were both clear 24 hours ago. They are on their eyes and bristles as well. 

They are (were) in a tank with about a dozen other young adult super reds and some rainbows. No other fish have even one spot on them. The water in the tank tests normal, low nitrates, no nitrite or ammonia, pH just below 7, our water is naturally on the hard side with low kH but doesn’t fluctuate and hasn’t. 

they are both now in a quarantine tank. I have the Med trio available, my gut tells me it’s fungal but looking for input or if anyone has experienced this. Thank you in advanced. 

079BBF10-CC39-4615-BA4D-FDB93EFA42D7.jpeg

Looks like velvet to me. Paracleanse should be your friend if it is! I'd wait to see if anyone else who has dealt with this before chimes in before dosing, though as second opinions are worth more than first! I'd definitely keep an eye on the other fish in the tank, though and see if anyone else starts developing it.

Possible Epistylis it feed's of gram negative bacteria on the skin of your fish and spreads more quickly at higher temperatures the most effective treatment is kanaplex in food and add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons  you can add kanaplex to repashy the medication isn't very heat resistant so start to add the medication once the repashy start to get a thicker consistency

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2