Managing Aggression in a Tanganyikan Tank

SupersoNick95

Here is the current stocking of my tank:

40 Breeder:

• 1x Brichardi (Juvenile)
  • 1x Leleupi (Juvenile)
  • 1x Julidochromis Marlieri (Juvenile)
  • 1x Compressiceps (Juvenile)
  • 6x Similis Shell Dwellers (several fry in the tank but I am planning on selling once they are of decent size)

All the fish are peaceful, except the Leleupi.  It has established itself as the "tank boss" and doesn't let the brichardi, Compressiceps, or Julie near the rocky area you can see in the picture. I have noticed the Brichardi has had its fins nipped and constantly stays in the corner of the tank. 

I moved the Leleupi to another tank with the same parameters in an attempt to disrupt the hierarchy of the tank. All of the other fish are timid, granted the Shellies will defend their corner of the tank quite well, not even the leleupi goes there. 

Will this "reset" the Leleupi's territory? What else can I do? Rearranging the rocks should be a last resort as I really like the look. 

IMG_1446.jpg

• Administrators

Here is what I would do:

1. Add double the amount of shells. I like to have a minimum of 3 shells per shell dweller for new colonies.

2. Add at least a second rock mound at the other end of the tank (or in the middle and create two shell colonies). You will also want to have more cave-like structures in the rock mounds. 

Your tank seems pretty sparsely scaped for the diversity you have. 

Good luck! 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:14 PM, Zenzo said:

Here is what I would do:

1. Add double the amount of shells. I like to have a minimum of 3 shells per shell dweller for new colonies.

2. Add at least a second rock mound at the other end of the tank (or in the middle and create two shell colonies). You will also want to have more cave-like structures in the rock mounds. 

Good luck! 

Are there any kind of plants that you could put in there?

On 10/7/2022 at 10:14 AM, Zenzo said:

Here is what I would do:

Good luck! 

I’ll go ahead and add more shells to the right side of the tank along with more rock structures 

Appreciate the response, but how would more shells help curb aggression from the leleupi? Since moving it to the time out tank all the other fish are doing great. Maybe I just need to add more cave structures to the rocky end of the tank like you mentioned. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:14 AM, Zenzo said:

Here is what I would do:

Good luck! 

Here is the scape after the addition of several more rocks and cave like structures. Also added several more shells. Aggression has subsided significantly!

DEC02D70-E378-4276-8D72-A8D6D1CFB543.jpeg

• Administrators

My recommendation would be to split up the rock mound to create two mounds on opposite sides of the tank, with a. bunch of shells in the middle. Basically, a bunch of rocks for the rock dwellers to have a place for each of them, and a sea of shells in between. However, if the current setup is working, leave it be. @TheSwissAquarist

Plants - Anything that can be attached to rock or in an Easy Planter. @SupersoNick95

On 10/11/2022 at 6:07 PM, Zenzo said:

My recommendation would be to split up the rock mound to create two mounds on opposite sides of the tank, with a. bunch of shells in the middle. Basically, a bunch of rocks for the rock dwellers to have a place for each of them, and a sea of shells in between. However, if the current setup is working, leave it be. @TheSwissAquarist

Plants - Anything that can be attached to rock or in an Easy Planter. @SupersoNick95

OHHHHHH now I see what you mean! That actually sounds really cool! Ill slowly work to set up another mound. The central shell dweller colony sounds awesome. 

Thanks Zenzo!

• Like 1