Starting with a big question

ricbennett3

Hello (new here),

I set up this "river" tank. Currently stocked with 4 Kuhli Loaches, three Borneo Suckers, a variety of white clouds, Amano and blue shrimp, ramshorn and Nerite snails. 

Things seem to be going pretty well. All creatures eating and doing there thing. The issue I am having is the KH is coming in at zero using an API test kit, and I can't even get a recognizable color on the coop strips. PH in the tank is 6.4-6.6. My tap KH reads at 2 (0-50ppm) based on an API test, with a PH of 7.

I am considering adding crushed coral to the tank (I've already bought it), but am not sure how to do that. I have an internal filter and a sponge filter, so would likely have to add it in a media bag, hidden in the back behind some plants. 

Is adding crushed coral a good idea? Will the change in KH and PH that will occur be bad for the fish (my understanding is the loaches may be sensitive to that sort of thing)? 

Thanks for your help:)

PS- I've added some plants and many have grown in more since the picture was taken. This tank has been making me happy.

IMG-8495.jpg

• Love 4

First off, beautiful tank. Love what you did! 

For crushed coral, you can add it to a media bag or just sprinkle it in the aquarium. I sprinkle some in the back near the hard scape where it’s hidden and just add some more whenever it’s done. The closer it is to any water flow, the higher the rate at which it will dissolve into the aquarium. 

This process will also take time, you won’t see huge changes in KH overnight. More like over the course of a week or a couple weeks. Raising KH will help prevent large pH swings or crashes, but will not necessarily raise the pH itself. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 4:04 PM, AnimalNerd98 said:

First off, beautiful tank. Love what you did! 

For crushed coral, you can add it to a media bag or just sprinkle it in the aquarium. I sprinkle some in the back near the hard scape where it’s hidden and just add some more whenever it’s done. The closer it is to any water flow, the higher the rate at which it will dissolve into the aquarium. 

This process will also take time, you won’t see huge changes in KH overnight. More like over the course of a week or a couple weeks. Raising KH will help prevent large pH swings or crashes, but will not necessarily raise the pH itself. 

Thanks. Glad to hear the changes will be gradual.

• Like 1

I added my crushed coral to my hob and mixed into my gravel. But with such a wonderful scape already it would suck to have to mix it in. Like others said maybe putting in the back of the tank as to not be seen. In my 29 gal I added approx 2-3lbs mixed in with the substrate and 1lbs in a media bag in my filter.

My kh was no existing at start. It took a solid 2 months until it got to a 4. So the change should be plenty slow enough to not effect the fishy friends. Just remember that ass the coral dissolves you will have to add more time to time. But I have had the coral in mine for 6 months and I'm still at a steady 4. I have yet to add so it goes at a snails pace for the most part.

• Thanks 1