How big would you guess this pleco is?

KittenFishMom

My best guess is it's at least eight inches long, and while I don't claim to be an expert, I believe it's a common pleco.  If I'm right it could easily reach twice that, or more.

To answer your question about what size tank it would need, probably several hundred gallons.

6-8" currently, but guarantee'd he's going to get much much bigger(appears to be a common pleco). i would not get that pleco for a 55gal tank. much better off to find a bristlenose, clown, or rubberlip. those all top out at 5-6".

Edited by lefty o

On 10/5/2022 at 6:52 PM, KittenFishMom said:

This pleco is posted for free in the Syracuse NY Craigslist today. It doesn't say how big it is. I'm not familiar with plecos, so I thought it would be interesting to see what the forum thought. How big is it and what size tank would it need. 

I'm just curious.

Thanks

KittenFishMom

pleco.jpg.11ff5a645882ffe2a355b8fccab66996.jpg

I don't have those math skills, so I am definitely guessing! 

A 11"-16" Common Pleco  If the glass baubles are the same as mine they are .75" each.

Leviathan was 16" and seemed to be content in my 75  There was plenty of room to turn around but there was still the occasional bump in the night when startled.

Yep, looks like a common and I would say roughly 8”.  The plastic plant in the background is usually around 1” across those fronds.  Commons often get to around 14” or so in length and are happiest in bigger tanks, of course. They can get by in a 75 gallon (I have 2 rescued boys on my 75 G with their rescued buddy Jack Dempseys).  I’d love to get them into a bigger tank with more swimming room.  They are prodigious poopers, so keep that in mind if you decide to get this kiddo.