Wrestling Halfbeak Dermogenys pusilla
Ebrardt's Redfin Halfbeak Livebearer Reg Nomorhamphus ebrardti
Nezahualcoyotl Swordtail Xiphophorus nezahualcoyotl
Xiphophorus montezumae "Río Tamasopo" - King of Swordtails
Melanzona Guppy (Poecilia parae)

Any other ideas are welcome!

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

I’d recommend reaching out to Greg Sage over at Select Aquatics to learn availability of Xiphophorus montezumae. Here is a page from Greg on them, and another with feedback. He can be reached by e-mail here: selectaquatics@gmail.com

I know Greg does _some_ shipping from US to Canada, but I am not certain how much.

From another source, reach out here about the M. picta. Not sure if they can ship your way or not. Handsome little fish!

I think @Jess got ahold of Halfbeaks someplace. Maybe you’ll have a fellow enthusiast to connect with.

On another species you didn’t happen to mention… I have a number of Xenotoca doadrioi if you’re interested. The bugbear is 🇨🇦 import law. Here’s a peek from this morning…

8846DB1B-7EC0-412D-8985-D0C4E6A1D35D.jpeg.2c60b41aa95e2a562cc0f49c5b56a6a9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:22 PM, Fish Folk said:

I think @Jess got ahold of Halfbeaks someplace. Maybe you’ll have a fellow enthusiast to connect with.

Yep, I do have halfbeaks - but I have egg-layers (H. tengah).  I got them from The Wet Spot and also Dan's Fish.  The latter currently has Dermogenys pusilla in stock but I don't know about Canada shipping...

If anyone finds this thread by searching for that specific one, I will add that these little guys are hella aggressive.  I have 7 in my tank which has a 12" x 36" surface area and a lot of red root floaters, and they've staked territories and mercilessly chase out others of their own kind.  They're not aggressive to any other fish; only amongst themselves.  I had 8, one of them got injured and died presumably from being stabbed by another one.  I wouldn't keep more than 4 or so in a tank with 12" x 36" surface area.  I can't sex them, so no idea what my ratio is and that may factor into my experience.  They also jump.

Also in Canada.  You may want to check The Planted Aquaria.  They have Red Swamp Guppies in stock... https://plantedaquaria.ca/product-category/livestock/guppies/

The Planted Aquaria is located in Oakville and ships across the country.  I recently placed an order with them and everything went very well.  They have excellent customer service.  My order arrived within 24 hours.  All the livestock was in fine form.

Edited by The Arthritic Aquarist
Fixing typo

That's too bad (i.e., no females) as obviously people will be interested in breeding them.

Tails and Scales (in Toronto) has some Sulawesi Red-Fin Halfbeaks and Limias in stock.  You didn't have Limias on your list, but they're a bit off the beaten track.

Here are some links:

https://tailsandscales.ca/collections/oddballs/products/sulawesi-red-fin-halfbeak

https://tailsandscales.ca/collections/livebearers/products/limia-tridens

I've have never placed an order with them, but tend to check them out on a regular basis.

• 2 months later...

On 10/7/2022 at 1:38 PM, The Doctor said:

Thanks again, this is great and the Limas are beautiful, I will get in touch with the store to see what else they can find for me...

There's a hobbyist in Burlington Ontario with X. alvarezi, X. signum, X. kallmani and X. helleri guenther. Tails and Scales is great they ordered some X. Umbratilis after I enquired about wild type livebearers and also have some X. eiseni as well as liberty mollies in stock and the L. tridens they have are great but I may be a bit biased as they're my stock 😁. I also got a pair of the N. ebrardtii from them but the male jumped last week 😕 the female dropped 4 fry a couple days ago though so hopefully I get a male. Let me know if you want any other leads/have leads on fish I haven't mentioned!

Edited by sebdeserio
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 11:16 PM, sebdeserio said:

There's a hobbyist in Burlington Ontario with X. alvarezi, X. signum, X. kallmani and X. helleri guenther. Tails and Scales is great they ordered some X. Umbratilis after I enquired about wild type livebearers and also have some X. eiseni as well as liberty mollies in stock and the L. tridens they have are great but I may be a bit biased as they're my stock 😁. I also got a pair of the N. ebrardtii from them but the male jumped last week 😕 the female dropped 4 fry a couple days ago though so hopefully I get a male. Let me know if you want any other leads/have leads on fish I haven't mentioned!

Thank you Sebdeserio, I love Tails and Scales and I even got some of your L. Tridens in my aquarium right now 🙂 Too bad they are sold out of most of the stuff right now, but I am watching and as soon as they get stuff back in will order more... For this hobbyist in Burlington, do you have an email or something you can message me, so I can get in touch? Thanks again!