How long can plants live in pots with rock wool?

Erik

I have just gotten some new plants for a new tank I'm about to start,  But I ordered them early because the plant I wanted went out of stock and once it was back in stock I got it.  I do not Have the new tank just yet (I should have it in at least a week).  I have the new plants currently in an already established tank in the pots with rock wool and a root tab in the rock wool. I was wanting some feed back to see if that is a good way to store the plants till I can get them into their own tank.  the plants I bought include water sprite, some crypts, A queen sword, scarlet temple, and monte carlo.  Any impute would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Months as long as they are fertilized appropriately.  But keep in mind that the longer they are in the pot with rock wool, the more the roots get imbedded into the rock wool.  Some roots will get broken when you pull them out even if you’re careful.  Swishing the roots and rock wool in a bucket of water helps clear away the rock wool more gently but you’ll still have to just pull some off the roots.  Sometimes trimming some roots can stimulate some plants to produce new roots, but it can trigger others into shock (looking at you, crypts).  Mostly, if properly fed and appropriate light is provided, they’ll be fine for weeks to months.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I had the same question and found this thread! Now I'm curious, does anyone have experience with taking them out of the pots but leaving the rock wool? Does the wool ever break down and release on its own if you give it enough time?

On 5/27/2023 at 11:18 PM, Adron said:

I had the same question and found this thread! Now I'm curious, does anyone have experience with taking them out of the pots but leaving the rock wool? Does the wool ever break down and release on its own if you give it enough time?

The rock wool will eventually loosen up and end up floating around the tank if it isn’t contained by something.  I use running water to help me get rock wool off roots when the plants have grown into the wool.  It doesn’t really decompose much at all since it is actually made from rock.

There’s really nothing to be gained by leaving the plants in the rock wool.  The roots tend to spread out and reach for nutrients better if they’re removed from the rock wool.  Sword plants will still reach out well, but others not as well, IME.  The nutrients can permeate through the rock wool, but it doesn’t hold nutrients or do anything to feed the plants.  It can hold root tabs, but so can any substrate and substrates look a whole lot better.  Epiphytes don’t need the rock wool to hold root tabs.

On 5/28/2023 at 6:18 AM, Adron said:

I have a huge Anubias whose roots were so intertwined with the rock wool that I just left them after I took the pot off. 4 months on and the wool is slowly detaching itself. I think you can immerse the roots in seltzer water to completely get rid of it. @Guppysnail