Is flashing a natural behavior?

DiscusLover

I have read lots of forums and videos about flashing and its really confusing for me. I have angelfish in my tank that are flashing and its like multiple times everyday which is weird. I medicated the whole tank for a month because all my fish were flashing and I waited and then weeks after all the fish stopped. Just recently when my angelfish spawned for a third time they started flashing again and it was very odd. None of the otgher fish were flashing and I thought it was very odd. Is flashing a natural behavior for angelfish breeding?

Flashing is a natural behavior just like a human scratching is a natural behavior.

If you watch a person long enough, you're going to see them scratch an itch, and if it's every now and then you'll think nothing of it--if you're the one itching every now and then, you don't see it as a problem.

But... if you see a person and all they're doing is scratching itches, then you know something's wrong, but you don't know what;  it could be a number of things: poison ivy, chiggers, mosquito bites, allergic reaction, drug withdrawals, tactile hallucinations, etc.

If I see a fish flash, I pay attention and observe that fish a few times that day to see if the flashing is frequent. If not, I do not worry about it. If it keeps happening or is happening to more than one fish, it's time to investigate: water parameters, possible pollutants, constipation, parasites, etc.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 3:54 PM, PineSong said:

Flashing is a natural behavior just like a human scratching is a natural behavior.

If you watch a person long enough, you're going to see them scratch an itch, and if it's every now and then you'll think nothing of it--if you're the one itching every now and then, you don't see it as a problem.

But... if you see a person and all they're doing is scratching itches, then you know something's wrong, but you don't know what;  it could be a number of things: poison ivy, chiggers, mosquito bites, allergic reaction, drug withdrawals, tactile hallucinations, etc.

If I see a fish flash, I pay attention and observe that fish a few times that day to see if the flashing is frequent. If not, I do not worry about it. If it keeps happening or is happening to more than one fish, it's time to investigate: water parameters, possible pollutants, constipation, parasites, etc.

After I notice the flashing from my angelfish pair I watched them like a hawk, seeing if they would do it again. But after they spawned they just stopped. Thank you for this.

• Like 1