Nitrite battle rages on

Confetto

Ugh. I'm on Week 4 of trying to get my nitrites under control in my 3 gallon tank. Bless my betta for riding this roller coaster with me.

I had my water tested at my LFS which confirmed my ludacris levels. They recommended that I treat my tank with Aquavitro Seed bacteria for seven days. Did this to no avail. Went back LFS and they said to keep treating with Seed until my levels came down. I have since emptied that bottle dosing the tank.

Ended up at Petco one afternoon and they recommended treating with Seachem Prime - the emergency dosage. The nitrites levels didn't budge.

I hand feed Miso (Betta) so little to no food is wasted. I needed to vacuum the gravel & decor this weekend so I did approx 50% water change. The water going into the tank measures at 0 nitrates and nitrites. I use a sponge filter and have frogbit & two anubias plants. I have noticed my frogbit is suffering and my dark leafed anubias now has a light green leaf. 

What is going on?!? 

I will add that I tried growing a water lily bulb mid-August. By September 13th, the bulb hadn't sprouted. That and little white spores began growing on it (pictured) so I pulled it from the tank. 

Is this new tank syndrome? Do I need a different filters, another filter? More plants?The tank has been running since July 31st and for all of September I can't get my numbers under control.

IMG_20221002_105534612.jpg

IMG_20220929_101625531~2.jpg

IMG_20220913_100020986.jpg

What you need to do with nitrite that high is test daily and do daily 50% water changes add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any nitrites and add some aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons that will help provent nitrite up though the Gills of your fish helping to provent nitrite poisoning till your nitrites constantly stay at zero 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 10/2/2022 at 5:36 PM, Confetto said:

Hmm, I believe I got some bad advice as the LFS folk told me to not do frequent water changes.

I was thinking dilution was the solution. Thank you.

Best thing you can do with high nitrites or ammonia is water changes 

• Like 4

If your nitrite was 1/4 of what is, I would suggest  that you needn't do big water changes.  You want to leave some nitrite in the tank (provided you are dosing with Prime accordingly) so your beneficial bacteria colony grows to meet the demand.  But your nitrites are really high.  I'd be doing big water changes until it is under 1ppm.  This is what I have done with success.  I am willing to be corrected though.

• Like 2

The nitrite eating bacteria often slow way down when nitrite goes above 1 ppm, so you'll want to try keeping it below that. I also see you have no alkalinity. The bacteria eat bicarbonate alkalinity to reproduce. At low alkalinity you aren't growing much bacteria. 1/4 tsp of baking soda will get 3 gallons to 60 ppm alkalinity which is a good level. If you add baking soda, don't add it all at once or your pH could swing up too fast.

Nitrite eating bacteria also like stability. So once you water change your nitrite down and get your alkalinity up, it's best to not touch the tank. That's is, unless your nitrite gets too high or alkalinity gets too low again.

Salt and Prime are also good ideas.

Edited by modified lung
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 9:36 AM, Confetto said:

Hmm, I believe I got some bad advice as the LFS folk told me to not do frequent water changes.

I was thinking dilution was the solution. Thank you.

I think they want you to keep up your nitrite levels so as to not slow down the tank cycling, but that’s dangerous to the fish. 

I agree with the advice in this thread. Do some water changes for the health of the fish, the cycle will finish on its own, just give it time. 

Just picked up Jungle aquarium salt and treating today. Fingers are crossed! 

On 10/2/2022 at 1:50 PM, modified lung said:

The nitrite eating bacteria often slow way down when nitrite goes above 1 ppm, so you'll want to try keeping it below that. I also see you have no alkalinity. The bacteria eat bicarbonate alkalinity to reproduce. At low alkalinity you aren't growing much bacteria. 1/4 tsp of baking soda will get 3 gallons to 60 ppm alkalinity which is a good level. If you add baking soda, don't add it all at once or your pH could swing up too fast.

Nitrite eating bacteria also like stability. So once you water change your nitrite down and get your alkalinity up, it's best to not touch the tank. That's is, unless your nitrite gets too high or alkalinity gets too low again.

Salt and Prime are also good ideas.

If I'm adding the salt today, can I add the baking soda at the same time? 

Also, if you haven't checked your tap water, check your tap water for nitrites!  I was trying to cycle a tank once, and kept finding excessive nitrite after water changes, before realizing that my tap water was spitting out ~2-3 ppm nitrite at that particular time.  My cycle was fine, I just kept adding more with the tap water I was using.  Once I let it sit, then my values dropped, and the tank appeared cycled.

• Like 1

LFS likely recommended no water changes as you were dosing bacteria in a bottle.   It can take a few days after each dose before a water change won’t remove some of what you are adding.  Prime won’t address nitrites but supposedly makes them less toxic.  

water changes and time will work.  Just hang in there and don’t get discouraged.  When I was battling nitrites it seemed like no progress for a while and then suddenly went to 0 over a couple of days.  

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 7:49 AM, RockMongler said:

Also, if you haven't checked your tap water, check your tap water for nitrites!  

On 10/3/2022 at 8:10 AM, _Eric_ said:

Prime won’t address nitrites but supposedly makes them less toxic.

I have two large Mt Olive pickle jars that I fill with (city) tap water and treat with Tetra AquaSafe for Bettas. I test them before I do a water change & they are nitrite/nitrate free. 

I would say the Prime is doing something as Miso is doing alright through this escapade. I've got some melting going on with my frogbit, but I can always replace that.

Thank you everyone for your help & all the suggestions. 

IMG_20221003_140756319~2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Nitrite levels have plummeted in the last 48hrs!  From💀 to⚠️-- 10.0 readings to 1.0!!  Nitrates are less than 20ppm What a relief! 

My pH is up, but still in safe parameters. (from the baking soda) My alkalinity is reading ideal.  THANK YOU!!  Y'all have been so very helpful!