What sort of deficiencies did these anubia suffer ?

anewbie

I have some old anubias - around 3 years old and this is how they look; what i cannot tell you is when the leaves suffered damage - it could have been 2 months ago or 2 years ago. I can say that the new leaves look fine (the lower plant has one just forming); obviously the old leaves will never recover and will always look damage unless i remove them or they eventually die (which never seem to happen).

p2.jpg.9a2ce2e99e658f79e3c11de754040258.jpgp1.jpg.acaa0b16736d45cf24c2b887994b1853.jpg

On 10/1/2022 at 9:42 PM, K McZongo said:

Are you dosing any ferts? Looks like potassium. Try the aquarium coop guide linked below.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/plant-nutrient-deficiencies

Some now and then; i would not be shocked if it was potassium; i do dose potassium now and then but i don't know how old the damage is - which makes it more difficult. I.e, it could have happened 18 months or 2 years or a couple of months ago 😞

On 10/2/2022 at 4:16 AM, anewbie said:

Some now and then; i would not be shocked if it was potassium; i do dose potassium now and then but i don't know how old the damage is - which makes it more difficult. I.e, it could have happened 18 months or 2 years or a couple of months ago 😞

I think you can safely rule out years in favor of a few months.  My best guess is Potassium first and then Phosphate.  Trim off all but 1 of the damaged leaves on each plant. These leaves are still feeding the plant. 

Even though the Anubia is primarily a water column feeder, I would still add root tabs with extra potassium, and begin regular dosing with a product such as Easy Green.

On 10/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, Tanked said:

I think you can safely rule out years in favor of a few months.  My best guess is Potassium first and then Phosphate.  Trim off all but 1 of the damaged leaves on each plant. These leaves are still feeding the plant. 

Even though the Anubia is primarily a water column feeder, I would still add root tabs with extra potassium, and begin regular dosing with a product such as Easy Green.

I do have phosphate i can add next water change; i hate to trim all the leaves off because the rhizome will be well empty; i do understand the logic that if you cut them off the plant will put forth more effort to grow new ones but unlike for an example a sword plant that can replace all its leaves in a month it might take the anubia a pretty long time to grow new leaves and the cut portion will well be kind of empty even when it regrows...

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 2:59 PM, anewbie said:

I do have phosphate i can add next water change; i hate to trim all the leaves off because the rhizome will be well empty; i do understand the logic that if you cut them off the plant will put forth more effort to grow new ones but unlike for an example a sword plant that can replace all its leaves in a month it might take the anubia a pretty long time to grow new leaves and the cut portion will well be kind of empty even when it regrows...

I never remove all of the leaves.  I would keep one or two of the best leaves on each rhizome, removing only the worst. I understand your hesitancy to trim the plant. I have had Anubia do absolutely nothing for many months.  Whatever you decide, the problem here is that your Anubia are starving for one or more elements, and will benefit from a regular dosing routine.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:41 AM, Tanked said:

I never remove all of the leaves.  I would keep one or two of the best leaves on each rhizome, removing only the worst. I understand your hesitancy to trim the plant. I have had Anubia do absolutely nothing for many months.  Whatever you decide, the problem here is that your Anubia are starving for one or more elements, and will benefit from a regular dosing routine.

Yea; i think i will watch it more closely and maybe trim a few leaves off as new ones form. Also i've noticed that anubia will 'consume' old leaves to make new leaves in some situations so there is also that aspect of the picture. I do think this issue is over a year old because there is also a buce (not pictured) that was growing well for a couple of years and suddenly got coated in algae - it is still there not growing coated in algae - i'm trying to remember exactly when this happened but I think it was before last summer (so 18 months ago). The issue was that the other plants were growing so fast and large these smaller plants more or less became invisible. A couple of months ago a fish came down with ick and i treated tank with salt for about 8 days; that cured the ick but wreck the larger plants exposing all my past sins for which i am now addressing. As for those larger plants (mostly a. boivinianus); they are just starting to regrow. This is a picture prior to the salt treatment (nov 2021; i think i have a newer one on my phone but this one was what i found on the computer):

b29_nov_2021.jpg.10557e6c91fe5465260c1d41a6daa0ba.jpg