Fish Food Preservation??

DavidR

I have a large container of Xtreme Krill. I've had it for 6 months or so, maybe longer. I've been pulling out a couple weeks worth to feed my fish and storing the larger container in a dark spot. It will likely take me another 6-9 months before I feed all of this out.

How long will this food last? Should I throw out what is remaining and get a fresh batch?

Cory's livestream last night had me thinking more about this.

I'd do that smell test he mentioned last night. When you get to the last of your small stash, smell that. Then smell the large container. The large container should still smell fresh. If it smells like the smaller batches, I'd say it's probably aging right along with them.

I know some folks keep the large containers in the freezer. Maybe that would help it to last longer. I have guppies, so need to do that here! Ha!!!

This is going to be a judgement call on your part personally I'd be too paranoid at 6 months but I'd smell it and look at the color. It would be hard to describe what it should smell like again that would be a judgement call but the color should still be a nice bright red. I also keep all of my foods in the fridge which helps in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, DavidR said:

Well, guess I will be placing an order at the Coop today. Suggestion for veggie food for my rainbows?

I like to mix the krill flake with the spirulina flake but that one is only available in the big container.