Guppy sorority

jessicaham

Hi there.  I ended up with some misgendered guppies and had to seperate the males from the females.  At this time I have one female hanging around with my RCS and she looks sad and lonely.  Has anyone had luck with a Guppy sorotiry?  I understand they won't be as flashy as the males etc I'm really just looking for friends for Miss Lady. She's in a 5 gallon with no plans on upgrading. 

Thoughts? 

I'm with Guppysnail; I think female guppies are very social and feel safer and happier when there are more of them. I've never seen any hint of aggression or even bossing among my females. Do keep in mind that although you've separated males from females, the females may continue to give birth to fry for a few months after the males have been removed.

I’ve seen our female attack another female when I had them together with a male.  I think the attacked female was/is pregnant but I’m not sure if that played a part or not.  I don’t know if the attacking female wanted the male to herself either.  I had to separate the attacked female for her safety.  This behavior was not something I expected to see.

• 2 weeks later...

I had two sweet female guppies and they were the best of friends. They would swim everywhere in the tank together, and one would get lonely and listless when the other was taken out. When I had to separate them temporarily, I had a clear bucket next to the tank with one guppy in it; they were both swimming up and down the sides of the tank and bucket, watching each other and looking like they wanted to reunite. After one guppy died the other didn't swim nearly as much and wasn't as interactive.