New Betta tank

Micki

Hi! I've just joined the forum, hello to all and thanks for any advice. I've got a 1 month old 10 gallon Betta tank with a banana plant, bacopa monnieri, buce mini red and a super red ludwigia - they're basically sticks and the mini buce is, well, mini, I'd like fill up my tank but I'm a beginner and I've never used CO2, and I'm not sure I want to have to...I've got a little driftwood bonsai in there too but I'd really like to fill it up. I'm also thinking of getting a snail,so I'd love some thought on those as well...thanks a lot!!  

Hi there Micki, welcome to the forum. As a person who does low tech tanks (no co2, no heaters, no ferts, just lights and fish poop) I can tell you you don't have to get fancy with your tank. You started with some good plants but they are not fast growers (nothing really will be in a low tech tank so it does take some time and patience). I have Bacopa and Super Red like you. My banana plant failed. What I can tell you in a 10 gallon I have an Amazon Compacta (smaller amazon plant- the regular one will take over your tank- I have one in my 20 gallon tall). So you can try that. Also some things that will create height and more interest is gluing rhizone plants to your driftwood- I love Java fern! Narrow leaf and Windelov are both beautiful plants, will produce babies you can remove and reglue wherever you need. When your other plants (ludwigia and bacopa) get bigger, trim and replant the top, trim and replant- and you'll soon have enough of those growing well. Anubias is another rhizone plant- Nana is great for smaller plants in the middle or front of your tank- other species like Barteri are great background plants that add another shape and height. (you can see all of these plants in the pics in my tanks on my profile page- just click "the solid facts" link in my signature below)

Would be great to post a pic and tell us what your set up is like and I'm sure you can get even more good advice from our helpful forum members!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame

Lol typos ARE lame 😁

Dude, thanks so much for all the info- I'm gonna check out your setup . My son has a 29 tall in our living room, and he's got a red lily bulb and an Anubias Nana he offered me- but he's also clearing up an algae bloom, so I don't think I'm going to take those.. you gave me lots of cool, low tech ideas ! I do have a heater cuz our place is drafty in the winter - but I don't want to get all fancy. Thanks a bunch - and I'll take a picture, I felt kinda silly cuz they're basically a bunch of sticks - but my betta (Denim) is gorgeous so I'ma show him off!

And thanks for the warm welcome ☺️

Edited by Micki
  • Love 1