Female cherry shrimp looks like she's molting the morning after we brought her home. Should I be worried or excited?

Schuyler

I bought some cherry shrimp yesterday, drip acclimated them for about three hours, put them in the tank, and then have them a little bit of blood worms to try and get them some protein.

This morning when we woke up the biggest female has a white strip along her back. Looking online it says that's a sign she will molt soon? And that she will be ready to breed after the at?

What are the odds she's happy and healthy vs the transition stressed her out and caused an issue?

LPS said my water parameters look good (they told me to hold off last time so I trust them). The tank is fairly heavily planted and has been running for about two months.

PXL_20220928_154655338.jpg

PXL_20220928_154754731.jpg

I'm pretty sure that line was there when you bought her, and you just didn't notice it.  It's not an indication of impending molt, but a common marking referred to as a "racing stripe".  It's somewhat common in red shrimp, very common in yellow ones, and uncommon with blue shrimp (in fact, I've never seen it on a blue one).  It will typically get wider, with more ragged edges, as a shrimp gets older.

Below is a picture of a brown shrimp in one of my cull tanks that has it.

image.png.cbf285b876f9a8948f64af7c6a7e029a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/29/2022 at 6:32 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'm pretty sure that line was there when you bought her, and you just didn't notice it.  It's not an indication of impending molt, but a common marking referred to as a "racing stripe".  It's somewhat common in red shrimp, very common in yellow ones, and uncommon with blue shrimp (in fact, I've never seen it on a blue one).  It will typically get wider, with more ragged edges, as a shrimp gets older.

Below is a picture of a brown shrimp in one of my cull tanks that has it.

image.png.cbf285b876f9a8948f64af7c6a7e029a.png

Looking more, I only see the stripe at certain angles. Does that line up with what racing stripes you've seen?

Also, do you know how to mark things as an answer? I got an email asking me to but I don't see a way of making an answer

On 9/29/2022 at 11:39 PM, Schuyler said:

Looking more, I only see the stripe at certain angles. Does that line up with what racing stripes you've seen?

Also, do you know how to mark things as an answer? I got an email asking me to but I don't see a way of making an answer

I've not noticed that they show up better at different angles, but it's certainly possible.

And as far as I know there isn't a mechanism for marking answers as correct (other than the options when hovering on the "Like" icon at the lower right of each reply).