Hurricane Ian

rockfisher

Hi 👋 

I ventured out to find a drive-thru that is open and has power. Connecting to wifi while I have the loooong wait for my Arby’s banquet. I’ve been thinking about @rockfisher. I hope they are ok.

I HAVE to say this- NANO AIR PUMPS are the BEST!!!! 😍 I have one going 12+ hours on a 20000 mAh power bank!! I’m going to let it keep running to see how long it continues.

Thanks for updating the folks @Guppysnail

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

On 9/30/2022 at 8:01 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I ventured out to find a drive-thru that is open and has power. Connecting to wifi while I have the loooong wait for my Arby’s banquet. I’ve been thinking about @rockfisher. I hope they are ok.

( Insert Arby’s joke here) JK! I’m glad you’re getting some hot food and WiFi. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Internet is back up.  How are you @rockfisher? I expect your power and internet are down too.

The nano air pump ran somewhere between 52-58 hours on power pack. I left home at the 52 hour point and it was still going strong. Came back at the 58 hour point and it was no longer running. Still. Very impressed. And silent. Unlike the D-cell Emergency Air pumps. I had to wrap one in a wetsuit and stuff it in a styrofoam cooler for the noise level to be tolerable. 😂

AD73690C-3FF0-4B04-B37A-E4606635D3FB.jpeg

• Like 5

No power or water. Spotty cell coverage and less access to the internet. It works early in the morning. It 3:30 in am. I have most of my tanks on the neighbors generator.  I’m ok. The house has a little roof damage and one window is broken. We have food and water to get us to when the power comes on. They are hoping to have power by Monday. Im about 6 miles from Pine Island.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

On 10/5/2022 at 3:31 AM, rockfisher said:

No power or water. Spotty cell coverage and less access to the internet. It works early in the morning. It 3:30 in am. I have most of my tanks on the neighbors generator.  I’m ok. The house has a little roof damage and one window is broken. We have food and water to get us to when the power comes on. They are hoping to have power by Monday. Im about 6 miles from Pine Island.  

I am so glad you are OK. Take care and hang in there be safe.

• Like 2

Thank you for your well wishes. I am very thankful that I am ok. I have friends thank are still missing on Pine Island. Things are not looking so good. Please think of them. 

As far as I’m concerned I’m in the hospital. I have not disclosed this here except for a very few. I had debilitating Crohn’s disease. I have gotten bad in the time since the storm. I’m am in the local hospital for a few days. To get I.V. Meds. This storm will effect me in ways I’m sure that will that I don’t even relize. My home needs repairs, new roof, new pool enclosure, pool and well equipment, windows, but that’s just things. I still have no power 9 days after. The city I have spend my adult live in is changed, hopefully things will be even better. I have lived and worked on  Sanibel Island and Captiva Island. Both golf courses are gone. The places I enjoyed are gone. People livelihoods are gone. Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel have large fishing industry both commercial and charter boat captains. The waters around this area are changed permanently. Again I can only hope that it will be for the better. That is all we hope. Please don’t forget the people here in a few months. It’s going to take years to rebuild. Schools,hospital, Police and Fire stations are damaged. 

I really want to say that I’m am lucky to have made friends here that have been a great support. Not only in fishkeeping and aquascape. I am greatful for everyone here. 

Last the reason we were brought together here the FISH. I’m very lucky to have a great neighbor that has allowed me run my air pump on most of the 22 tanks. That saved most my of L-333 and L-134 plecos. I have a lot invested in those and am happy that that most were saved. I did lose a breeding pair of L-333’s. During the storm I sold my first pair of angels. I can’t ship yet but the buyer is understanding. I did lose some of my project guppies. The water was blown out of my pond and the fish went with it. My kio are good. I do think that the planted tanks did much better than the unplanted. 

THANK YOU ALL SOME MUCH.

• Like 7

You are right @rockfisher as part of the first responder industry- people who have been involved in tragedy and/or disasters are often quickly forgotten. We (as humans) are often left to fend for ourselves. Often I'm very guilty of never asking for help- some of us take on more than we should. It's going to take years for FL to recover and I hope it does beyond the level it was before the hurricane. It seems you have some good people in your neighborhood-- foster that- hold each other up- nobody else will understand what you went through, what you are going through now and what you've been through in the future more than they will. Don't be afraid to reach out your hand- people are more willing to help than you know- but they don't always know who needs it. Take care of yourself and I hope your friends on the Island made it. 

• Thanks 2

Dang @rockfisher thank you for that raw truth. It needs to be said. The photos make it look like a a bomb went off.. and it probably is like that in a way. 

Please take care of yourself & don't be afraid to ask for help. I'm glad your neighbor is helping you out, that's awesome! 

I hope your hospital stay is brief. I pray you hear from your friends soon. I will keep y'all in my thoughts 💛💛💛

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 5:29 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

“Hunker down!” as they say, @rockfisher

My work uses bags of mulch as sandbags. Maybe that’s an option for you if there’s time to grab some? And do keep us posted when your power and internet comes back on.

@FLFishChik how are you faring? Did you get all of your supplies? I filled up my water change buckets and bought a bunch of canned goods.

Hey! We did ok this time around! Didn’t lose power. Being native Floridians, we are always prepared. Don’t do the “last minute” run for supplies- we just keep them on hand yearly and replace usually in the Spring as needed ( emergency candles, first aid kits, flash lights, batteries, batter packs for cellphones, canned goods, non perishable dry goods, ziplock bags for making ice packs and bottled water ). How did you do? Everyone get thru ok?

• Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 2:15 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I lost power for a day and a half and then I was without internet & cable for another day & a half but otherwise ok 👍 

No damage, I hope? Glad you’re ok! I will admit. I was worried what I was going to do if I lost power as I had put off buying the battery operated air pump… I had a plan (sort of) but thankfully, our power stayed on. I did a large water change two days before the storm and fasted the fish just in case the power went out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got internet back 3 weeks after the storm. Which I’m not upset about. I still have a home, it needs repairs but I’m here and that can be fixed. I’m so happy to be back. I’m happy to be talking fish again I talk to a former member here Brandon P. He gave me something to update on something he was working on root growth in different substrates. I’ll post that Imformation tomorrow. Thank you to everyone that though about all of us Floridians during and after the storm. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3