What do I do? I found a smaller sluggish yoyo loach that may have been trapped under something.

KittenFishMom

I had 2 yoyo loaches, and one disappear a few days ago.

I finally gave up looking and bought a new one for my single yoyo loach. I also added 3 khuli loaches.

Today I found the missing yoyo loach under a khuli loach. It was very small and did not move when the khuli loach swam away. I thought the yoyo was dead and started to pick it up off the bottom. It swam slowly off my fingers and I thought maybe it would perk up a bit if I left it alone. Just now I found in it the corner of the tank on it's side. I think it might have gotten trapped under an ornament when they got moved during cleaning

I put some tank water in a food cup and added some water and ripped up IAL and some ACO Easy fry food and am holding the flat bottom of the cup on my thigh with my hand around the cup to maintain the temp and darkness. This is not a long term solution, but I wanted to keep track of the little guy while I wrote to the forum. 

Any advice? Should I put him back in the tank, or set up a small hospital tank? I know they like company, but I don't think I can catch the other yoyo loaches or khuli loaches with the plants in the tank. The tank has extra male guppies, so is a bit over stocked. There is plenty of detritus in the tank. The water parms have been steady for the last 3 days. I was expecting to do a water change tomorrow.

He seem more upright, but might just be leaning against the side of the cup. He just turned around. I think he might be eating the fry food. Or my hand might be moving a bit, and worrying him.

I could do a hospital tank or a hang on back breeder box or put him back in the tank. The breeder box up-lift  water intake, and and over flow output.

Thanks in advance.

I would put him in the breeder box and a add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table for 5 gallon the salt will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes it sounds like he might be weak I would try and get him to add some frozen blood worms or brine shrimp does he have a sunken belly 

@ColuThe breeder box is only about 2 cups of water. I can measure it. Should I try to calculate the amount of salt for the breeder box, or salt the whole 10 gallon tank? Will that kill kill my plants?

His head looks big compared to his body, so I would say his belly is sunken. I have frozen bloodworms and trying to hatch brine shrimp, the the hatcher is too cold. the incandescent bulb blew and all we have is LED. I have frozen cubes of adult brine shrimp. I would have to cut them, or grate them, this guy is very small.

@colu He was active for a few days when I first got him, then I looked for him,  but didn't see him. He is getting more active in the cup. The IAL are mostly for him to hide in at this point. I washed them and tore them up, but they were dry and are floating. The water is less than 1/2 inch deep in the cup. I wanted the leaves to make him feel safe.

As the breeder box is in the aquarium I would salt the whole 10 gallons it sound like he's weak due to lack of food if he been trapped some wear for a while getting him to eat is the most important thing  salt at the level a recommended shouldn't harm your plants

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

I carefully set up the HOB breeder box, all nice and level, and carefully skimmed the substrate for the floor of the breeder box. Then as I was pouring the cup of water and fish in, the fish flipped into the tank.

Well I am pretty sure it did, because I searched the breeder with a flash light and did not see it. I had the opening of the cup facing the tanks because I knew I could not find it if it flipped down behind the tank stand. I put the bloodworms and IAL bits in and decided to leave it until tomorrow and check it with sun light, just in case the fish is in the breeder box.

I think the fry food and blood worms helped a good bit. That fish had very little wiggle when I put it in the cup. I didn't think it would be swimming at all in 20 minutes, but it perked up, either from food or fear. I have my fingers crossed that it wasn't fear, because it should have been more afraid as I pulled its limp body from the tank than after swimming in the cup with food and very little light for 2 hours.

I hope it sneaks out of hiding and eats tonight.

@Colu The found yoyo loach is in the HOB breeder box. He seems stressed. I wondered if he might do better in a floating breeder box that floats around the surface inside the tank so he doesn't feel all alone.

I thought about adding a fish to the HOB breeder box, but I don't think I could catch either yoyo loach with all the plants in that tank. I might be able to catch a neon tetra or 2. I think the male guppies might  be aggressive, and a female guppy might give birth. I don't want guppy fry finding their way into that tank.  The big corys are at least 10 times the found yoyo's size, maybe bigger. 

Do you think feeling surrounded by fish while floating in a small breeder box might reduce or increase the stress on the found yoyo loach?

@Colu He has had IAL pieces since I took him out of the tank. He hide under them yesterday, took me a while to find him because he shifted around under them as I lifted them. He was eating some yesterday and today. At least it looked like eating, digging his nose into the substrate I put in the breeder. I put in torn up blood worms and a little Easy Fry and a little First Bites and a mini sinking wafer.  I'll have fresh baby brine shrimp in the morning. I don't want to bother him when he is under the IAL, so it is hard to tell how much he is eating for sure.  I thought he was dead this afternoon. He had been on his side out, in the open, for awhile. Then I move part of an IAL and he swam to the other side and watched the fish tack for a while, then swam somewhere else under the leaves.

I would keep doing what your doing offering him a varied diet see if his belly starts to become more fuller it's not uncommon for loach to rest on there side it can look like there dead  if he starts to put on weight he has a good chance at making a full recovery 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

The yoyo loach has been swimming every time I looked in today. This evening he looked like he was trying to swim up the corner and out. I might float him in a floating breeder box in the tank with IAl and some substrate and see how he does there.  I am waiting for bbs to hatch so I can feed him. I put some blood worms in the container while I clean out the HOB breeder box.

• Like 1

The yoyo loach in the floating breeding box started feeling his oats and kepp swimming straight up and hitting the box cover.  I took the cover off and a few minutes later, he was doing it again.

I tip the breeder box on it's side and he darted out and under one of my big cory fish. I looks around and found him there, eating. I hope he shows himself tomorrow.

Edited by KittenFishMom