Sick Betta

wes.crockett

Hey all. Looks like our Betta is sick. Been lethargic for a bit and sleeping at weird angles... Read that I shouldn't be too concerned, but now it looks to be having a hard time breathing. I just took it out and quarantined it (granted, I had to set up the quarantine and use quick start... That will probably kill it if whatever it has doesn't...)

Anyways, I also noticed discoloration on its bottom side. The tetras and otos in the tank seem to all be doing great. Only new thing is that I'm treating the tank for blue green algae.

IMG20220927012915.jpg

On 9/27/2022 at 2:40 AM, quikv6 said:

Is there boating and the beginning of scales pineconing? It is tough to tell from the pics, but it could be dropsy, which is often fatal. I thing salt and an extra airstone would be a great start, and some more pics may help diagnose.

Yeah, looks like a little bloating. It's really hard to see given that he is always on the very bottom of the tank. He did live through the night and I put about 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt in the tank last night.

Hard to tell what it might be at this stage, could be one of the many things that causes dropsy symptoms or just constipation. Don't feed at all in the meantime and check to see what potnetial constipation solutions might be available to you. The common ones I've heard never did anything for me, but they could work for you. Salt baths and things like that will be a good step to treat the more treat-able causes of dropsy. 

What are you using to treat the cyanobacteria? It might be a reaction to something strange being in the water Betta's are more susceptible to things that form a surface film than other fish.

Hopefully the a bit of time in clean water will let it recover. If it does I wouldn't put it back in the other tank until the treatment is over.