EBA mating with Blood Parrot?

DanandAnd

Hi. First post here.

I've been keeping fish for 3 years. I am a huge fan of Corey's YT channel. I have 4 tanks, and a just bought a house with a basement, where I am planning to set up 2 larger tanks :)

In a 75 gallon planted tank, I have two Blood Parrots: 2.5 y/o female, and 1 y/o male (I think). Also in the tank is a 2 y/o male Electric Blue Acara, bosemani rainbows, barbs, and a few small clown loaches.

I have noticed that my female BP and male EBA have been displaying what seems like mating behavior.

Soon after the light turns off at night, I hear splashing. The male BP and EBA fight (sometimes the female BP gets involved). The more dominant EBA usually pushes the younger BP to the opposite side of the tank, then the EBA and the female BP swim down into a secluded area surrounded by rocks. The EBA bites the surface of a large flat rock and plants (crypts) around it. They take turns chasing off any fish that gets close, but always return to the "nest"

The female BP hasn't laid eggs yet. She shimmys in the sand and swims sideways rubbing her belly on the flat rock. The EBA makes slow movements swimming  sideways, fanning his fins out, rubbing against the BP, or nudging the BP with his mouth.

Has anyone heard of these two hybrids breeding?  It would be great if the babies turned out like the bosemani rainbows (half orange/half electric blue) :classic_biggrin:.... I think it's more likely they would be deformed and quickly eaten by tank mates.

Thanks for reading!

Dan

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 7:53 PM, DanandAnd said:

Hi. First post here.

I've been keeping fish for 3 years. I am a huge fan of Corey's YT channel. I have 4 tanks, and a just bought a house with a basement, where I am planning to set up 2 larger tanks 🙂

In a 75 gallon planted tank, I have two Blood Parrots: 2.5 y/o female, and 1 y/o male (I think). Also in the tank is a 2 y/o male Electric Blue Acara, bosemani rainbows, barbs, and a few small clown loaches.

I have noticed that my female BP and male EBA have been displaying what seems like mating behavior.

Soon after the light turns off at night, I hear splashing. The male BP and EBA fight (sometimes the female BP gets involved). The more dominant EBA usually pushes the younger BP to the opposite side of the tank, then the EBA and the female BP swim down into a secluded area surrounded by rocks. The EBA bites the surface of a large flat rock and plants (crypts) around it. They take turns chasing off any fish that gets close, but always return to the "nest"

The female BP hasn't laid eggs yet. She shimmys in the sand and swims sideways rubbing her belly on the flat rock. The EBA makes slow movements swimming  sideways, fanning his fins out, rubbing against the BP, or nudging the BP with his mouth.

Has anyone heard of these two hybrids breeding?  It would be great if the babies turned out like the bosemani rainbows (half orange/half electric blue) :classic_biggrin:.... I think it's more likely they would be deformed and quickly eaten by tank mates.

Thanks for reading!

Dan

Most likely no. I have heard of eba breeding with green terror but I have never heard of any parrots mating with an eba.