Ich and med trio

Neha

Hello, I'm dealing with ich on my new ember tetras. I dosed with aquarium med trio, but now if I treat ich actively, which is changing 1/3 water every 24 hr and dosing again, where does that leave me with maracyn and paracleanse? Do I also dose the amounts for those to compensate for water change or do I dose them at the end of the 3 day cycle?

@Colu Thanks for always helping me with med questions, hopefully you can help me on this too? Thank you!

If you have ich I would water change out the other medications and just treat with ick x and aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons as ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt will add essential electrolytes just remember to only put back in the amount of salt you take out so if you do a 3 gallon water change put 1 table spoon back keeping treating with ick x for 3 days after you see the last spots  @Neha

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:50 PM, Colu said:

If you have ich I would water change out the other medications and just treat with ick x and aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons as ich causes massive electrolyte loss and the salt will add essential electrolytes just remember to only put back in the amount of salt you take out so if you do a 3 gallon water change put 1 table spoon back keeping treating with ick x for 3 days after you see the last spots  @Neha

So by water changing out the other medication you mean I should not add them when I do the 1/3rd water changes after every 24 hrs and only add ich X? 

Also, will ember tetras be okay with constant salinity in water?

Also part 2, after I have treated with ich X 3 days after the last spots, do I put in maracyn and paracleanse 1 pck for 10 gallons, and leave for a week?

On 9/26/2022 at 11:12 PM, Neha said:

So by water changing out the other medication you mean I should not add them when I do the 1/3rd water changes after every 24 hrs and only add ich X? 

Also, will ember tetras be okay with constant salinity in water?

Also part 2, after I have treated with ich X 3 days after the last spots, do I put in maracyn and paracleanse 1 pck for 10 gallons, and leave for a week?

Yes only add the ick x back in when you do 1/3 water changes I personally only quarantine for 4 weeks and monitor them if you want to follow up the maracyn and paracleanse I would leave it a week after you finish treating with ick x 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

So the ich is now almost gone but I’ve observed that they don’t really eat very much. I’ve tried a bunch of different foods: frozen brine shrimp, hikari micro pellets and easy fry food. Some of them look like they have sunken belly but I’m not so sure. Should I still wait for a week before starting maracyn and paracleanse?

ps: I’ve no idea why one of the images in inverted, sorry.

B83FD595-8EA5-4903-8B0E-FA631991AAF4.jpeg

91736290-4EAF-4CF1-A1AC-6D07A5F1DE68.jpeg

On 9/30/2022 at 11:21 PM, Neha said:

So the ich is now almost gone but I’ve observed that they don’t really eat very much. I’ve tried a bunch of different foods: frozen brine shrimp, hikari micro pellets and easy fry food. Some of them look like they have sunken belly but I’m not so sure. Should I still wait for a week before starting maracyn and paracleanse?

ps: I’ve no idea why one of the images in inverted, sorry.

B83FD595-8EA5-4903-8B0E-FA631991AAF4.jpeg

91736290-4EAF-4CF1-A1AC-6D07A5F1DE68.jpeg

A couple of them look like they have a sunken belly What I would do is finish treating for ich then follow up with paracleanse it can take 2-3 course of treatment 2 weeks apart to internal parasite if their getting worse after a full course of paracleanse then I would treat with fritz Expel p it a more powerful dewormer than paracleanse 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2022 at 7:03 PM, Colu said:

A couple of them look they have a sunken belly What I would do is finish treating for ich then follow up with paracleanse it can take 2-3 course of treatment 2 weeks apart to internal parasite if their getting worse after a full course of paracleanse then I would treat with fritz Expel p it a more powerful dewormer than paracleanse 

Okay, bad news, 1 dead fish. One of them wasn't looking too good last night and I guess he passed away during the night. Another one is not looking so good today, he is hanging at the surface and breathing rapidly, I'm not sure what to do for him. I have attached his picture

I still had about a day of ichx left that I wanted to do but since 1 fish died, I changed roughly 25% water this morning and dosed with Expel-P. It says to change 25% water after 24hrs and follow up after 1 week. Should I do something else in between?

IMG_9440.jpg

On 10/2/2022 at 11:20 AM, Colu said:

You can use ick x and fritz Expel p together the active ingredients in the  medication won't have a negative interaction i would use the Expel p once a day for three days then repeat the treatment once a week for another 3 weeks @Neha

My final IchX dose is today, so do I change water before dosing again with Expel P or should I leave IchX in the water? Also for the 3 day treatment should I do a 25% wc everyday?

What disease do you think this is? 

It looks like wasting disease  if you have already done a water change and added ick x back in  I wouldn't do another water change i would just add in the Expel p in 24hr do a 25% water change and repeat the treatment for 3 days and then follow up once a week for another 3 weeks @Neha

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 12:16 PM, Colu said:

It looks like wasting disease  if you have already done a water change and added ick x back in  I wouldn't do another water change a would just add in the Expel p in 24hr do a 25% water change and repeat the treatment for 3 days and then follow once a week for another 3 weeks @Neha

Two more dead, several are hanging at the top, anything I can do? Anything at all?

On 10/3/2022 at 3:24 AM, Neha said:

Two more dead, several are hanging at the top, anything I can do? Anything at all?

As there hanging at the surface I would Add another air Stone and a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes other than that it just a case of wait and  see at this point sorry there's not a lot more a can suggest 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:57 PM, Colu said:

As there hanging at the surface I would Add another air Stone and a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table for 3 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes other than that it just a case of wait and  see at this point sorry there's not a lot more a can suggest 

So it is now the third and the last day of Expel-P. I've lost 7 fishes since Sunday when I started Expel-P. The 7th one died this morning. I'm wondering if my diagnosis was wrong and if I've been treating correctly because they are not getting better, instead, just dying one by one? On the other hand I don't know what else it could have been, I don't see any external infection, although I'm not an expert in fish diseases.

It is very disheartening to see loss of life but I feel kind of helpless. Is there something else that I can try? Or should I just wait and see? I'm almost certain that the remaining 3 will also die. I'm very lost..

Sorry to hear that your still losing fish the internal damage caused by the  parasites can be too severe in some case even with treatment you can still lose fish what I would do is follow up with a course of maracyn in food to cover against any possible secondary internal bacteria infection and follow up in a week with Expel p @NehaIMG_20220714_201455.jpg.589e4a33672800dcb4a7896c5548a546.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 2:49 PM, Colu said:

Sorry to hear that your still losing fish the internal damage caused by the  parasites can be too severe in some case even with treatment you can still lose fish what I would do is follow up with a course of maracyn in food to cover against any possible secondary internal bacteria infection and follow up in a week with Expel p @NehaIMG_20220714_201455.jpg.589e4a33672800dcb4a7896c5548a546.jpg

Just out of curiosity, could I have fed this medicated food while I was treating with Expel-P or would it have made it difficult for them to pass the parasites?

• 1 month later...

So I managed to save 2 ember tetras from this group. They are doing good at the moment. One of them is seems a little bloated though, they were fed only small amounts every other day for the past 5-6 days because I was out of town. Before that they were being fed frozen brine shrimp twice a day. Is this something I should be worried about? It’s moving, eating, doing everything fine.

BD090385-127C-44FE-863E-44581DDA84DD.jpeg

FC289296-7566-4A38-8AC9-F59B7CEE9D37.jpeg

575A46DE-BEE3-4638-8630-1B6C6A732C03.jpeg

So I did not think much of the bloating and since the two were doing okay for the past month, I got 7 more ember tetras and medicated all 9 with med trio in quarantine tank. This was Saturday night. The bloated one did not look very good after medication and was swimming on the surface. Today, several don’t look very good, pale and not swimming very nicely. One was lying on its side but breathing. The one that is looking very thin is also from the last batch.

I also saw some 2-3mm long stuff lying on the bottom, I don’t know what it is. I’ve added 1tbsp salt per 3 gallon and increased aeration. I could really use some advice here on what to do next.

@Colu If you could spare some time to look into this again, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

0400386C-584C-4431-8DC2-4BF0D55E59B2.jpeg

6C8635CE-95A2-4496-BB50-CDF9A39EB716.jpeg

5750248E-8097-40F7-8862-D71E3C389C81.jpeg

Bloating or pineconing can be caused by a number of things internal bacterial infection's internal parasites polycystic kidney disease with the symptoms your fish have  I think the best course of treatment would be to treat with Expel p 24hr water change  then follow up with paracleanse week 2 and 3 repeat this treatment and one of the active ingredient in paracleanse is metronidazole that also treats  gram negative bacteria aeromonas @Neha

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:02 AM, Colu said:

Bloating or pineconing can be caused by a number of things internal bacterial infection's internal parasites polycystic kidney disease with the symptoms your fish have  I think the best course of treatment would be to treat with Expel p 24hr water change  then follow up with paracleanse week 2 and 3 repeat this treatment and one of the active ingredient in paracleanse is metronidazole that also treats  gram negative bacteria aeromonas @Neha

I just realized that I overdosed the med trio by twice the amount on Saturday. I feel terrible. What do I do now or is it too late?

On 12/1/2022 at 11:10 PM, Neha said:

I just realized that I overdosed the med trio by twice the amount on Saturday. I feel terrible. What do I do now or is it too late?

As you have  over dosed the medication I would do a 50% water change and add active carbon to remove any remaining medication 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, so it's now been about a month since this over dose happened. I installed carbon, removed it after a week or so, fed them live bbs, frozen bbs, and easy fry food. They are very active during meal times and in general also doing okay. Week 3, I did 1 course of paracleanse  because one of the tetras was looking a little big (just like the last one) and another one was having problems swimming from the start. I don't see any more bloating but the one that was having swimming problems is still the same. I have attached a video, he swims like this but everything else looks fine.

I want to know if it is safe at this point to remove these from quarantine and add them to my main tank? I cannot afford any disease spread to my main tank where Frodo the betta fish lives. @Colu

IMG_0197_AdobeExpress.gif

IMG_0197_AdobeExpress (3).gif

On 12/31/2022 at 11:06 PM, Neha said:

Okay, so it's now been about a month since this over dose happened. I installed carbon, removed it after a week or so, fed them live bbs, frozen bbs, and easy fry food. They are very active during meal times and in general also doing okay. Week 3, I did 1 course of paracleanse  because one of the tetras was looking a little big (just like the last one) and another one was having problems swimming from the start. I don't see any more bloating but the one that was having swimming problems is still the same. I have attached a video, he swims like this but everything else looks fine.

I want to know if it is safe at this point to remove these from quarantine and add them to my main tank? I cannot afford any disease spread to my main tank where Frodo the betta fish lives. @Colu

IMG_0197_AdobeExpress.gif

IMG_0197_AdobeExpress (3).gif

I would do one more course of paracleanse before adding them to the main tank  one of my x-ray tetras has swim like this since I got him 4 years ago I don't think it's anything to worry about probably injury or swim bladder damage that never healed right @Neha

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 6:18 PM, Colu said:

I would do one more course of paracleanse before adding them to the main tank  one of my x-ray tetras has swim like this since I got him 4 years ago I don't think it's anything to worry about probably injury or swim bladder damage that never healed right @Neha

Thank you very much!