Tanganyikan Community - 40 Breeder Stocking Options

SupersoNick95

Originally had a 20 long tank for a species only tank of Similis shell dwellers. I have recently upgraded to a 40 breeder and have added a goof amount of rockwork on one end of the tank. 

I currently have about 11 Shellies (6 adults, 5 babies which are pretty small but are readily eating lightly crushed flake and adult frozen brine shrimp) and a Synondatus Mulipunktatus catfish, which supposedly only grows to maximum of 5 inches. (correct me if I'm wrong though.)

I'd like to add about 2-3 more cichlids to the tank. avoiding any breeding pairs to curb aggression.

• (1) leleupi
  • (1) Brichiardi
  • (1) Julidochromis 

I am not very interested in breeding the Shellies past the 11 that I already have as its a hassle to keep them alive and the increased frequency of feeding has led to several outbreaks of bladder snails. So any new babies being picked off is not an issue for me.

would the new cichlids bully the shellies to death? I've seen many videos online of aquarists keeping shellies with much larger fish, specifically Prime Time Aquatics and King of DIY, who himself kept them successfully with a school of 12 frontosa (albeit in a much larger tank)!

Please feel free to share your opinions!

• Administrators
On 9/26/2022 at 10:33 AM, SupersoNick95 said:

Originally had a 20 long tank for a species only tank of Similis shell dwellers. I have recently upgraded to a 40 breeder and have added a goof amount of rockwork on one end of the tank. 

I currently have about 11 Shellies (6 adults, 5 babies which are pretty small but are readily eating lightly crushed flake and adult frozen brine shrimp) and a Synondatus Mulipunktatus catfish, which supposedly only grows to maximum of 5 inches. (correct me if I'm wrong though.)

I'd like to add about 2-3 more cichlids to the tank. avoiding any breeding pairs to curb aggression.

• (1) leleupi
  • (1) Brichiardi
  • (1) Julidochromis 

I am not very interested in breeding the Shellies past the 11 that I already have as its a hassle to keep them alive and the increased frequency of feeding has led to several outbreaks of bladder snails. So any new babies being picked off is not an issue for me.

would the new cichlids bully the shellies to death? I've seen many videos online of aquarists keeping shellies with much larger fish, specifically Prime Time Aquatics and King of DIY, who himself kept them successfully with a school of 12 frontosa (albeit in a much larger tank)!

Please feel free to share your opinions!

As someone that has several Tanganyikan tanks (including some of the fish that you mentioned), I would caution you on the brichardi. They can get out of control if not kept in check and thinned out from time to time. I keep them with my multis in a 60, and I have to pull some out from time to time to sell to the store. I would say that Julis or Leleupi would be better, once the shellies get established. 

On 9/26/2022 at 4:29 PM, Zenzo said:

As someone that has several Tanganyikan tanks (including some of the fish that you mentioned), I would caution you on the brichardi. They can get out of control if not kept in check and thinned out from time to time. I keep them with my multis in a 60, and I have to pull some out from time to time to sell to the store. I would say that Julis or Leleupi would be better, once the shellies get established. 

Hi Zenzo, appreciate the response! 

however I don’t plan on having a pair of brichardi, I only plan on having one, as to avoid a large colony.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/26/2022 at 1:36 PM, SupersoNick95 said:

Hi Zenzo, appreciate the response! 

however I don’t plan on having a pair of brichardi, I only plan on having one, as to avoid a large colony.

Cool. I somehow missed that you wrote (1) next to the fish. Should be okay.