Robin

I was having trouble getting my blue dreamer shrimp  to breed. I watched one of Cory's videos on the subject and he talks about using Wonder shell to get minerals in the water. So a month ago I got some from the co-op. A couple days ago I found baby shrimp and at least one more berried female. That worked great!

• Like 3

That's great! I have RCS, started out with 8 females, one male, and 2 tiny newborns that I didn't expect to even survive. They made it though I didn't even see them for 2 weeks. Recently EVERY female was berried, now all but one are saddled again, and I have tiny shrimp evvverywhere! So much fun!

Also, that tank is now immaculate. I can't wait to get them a little bigger, so I can shift some to other tanks that have fish.

I have another tank, 10g, that only has one left over fish in it. When he gets big enough to go in the community tank I'm going to convert that tank to Cherry shrimp. The tank is in good shape and really if I took the nerite out so the algae could build up a bit it would be perfect for shrimp. I think eventually I'll convert all my small tanks to shrimp. I really enjoy them.

3 hours ago, Robin said:

I have another tank, 10g, that only has one left over fish in it. When he gets big enough to go in the community tank I'm going to convert that tank to Cherry shrimp. The tank is in good shape and really if I took the nerite out so the algae could build up a bit it would be perfect for shrimp. I think eventually I'll convert all my small tanks to shrimp. I really enjoy them.

How hard is ur tap water I want to try the wonder shell for my shrimp but my water is hard already 

I don't necessarily understand the GH/Kh thing. I did however test my water out of the tap and it was GH/8/143.2   KH/6/107.4  My PH Is 7.4 to 7.6. Some of our water comes from an aquifer and they treat it with Sodium Hydroxide to raise the PH but I believe they also take all the minerals out.They say arsenic and Magnesium and Iron are removed when they treat it but it probably means there are no minerals at all which is why the wonder shell probably helped so much.

My GH/KH is about a third of yours at 30GH/40KH. However, I think GH/KH can be deceptive because it doesn't specify which minerals it is measuring, just that there are some. Maybe the magic shell helped balance them out for you?

Because I have softer water, I tend to offer shrimp pellets that have minerals. At first they didn't seem interested, but now they swarm them.

34 minutes ago, Brandy said:

My GH/KH is about a third of yours at 30GH/40KH. However, I think GH/KH can be deceptive because it doesn't specify which minerals it is measuring, just that there are some. Maybe the magic shell helped balance them out for you?

Because I have softer water, I tend to offer shrimp pellets that have minerals. At first they didn't seem interested, but now they swarm them.

I don't know. I will say it came to me the other thing I changed is I'm feeding them Xtreme shrimp pellets which they love. That started back in Mid April.