Anyone with outdoor tub experience?

Robstar

Watching one of Cory's old livestreams about outside tubs and he mentioned solar powered air pumps. This really appeals to me because I don't want to run a power cord outside. Has anyone had a good experience with these? What kind do you have? Or did you come up with a different solution. Thinking about getting a 60 gallon tub with white clouds and keeping it outside year round.

• Like 1

When I setup my tub in August I thought about getting a solar pump. In the end I opted just to run a really long airline from the aquarium coop battery air pump. Mainly because the solar options looked really cheaply made and the review either seem fake or were bad.  I also wanted to keep the water aerated 24/7, most of the solar options didn't include a battery or were too expensive to gamble on.  There was a post where someone just bought a solar panel/inverter and set it up.

However, just went with what was quickest since summer is winding down.

Edited by K McZongo
Add post for solar
  • Thanks 1

IME, the solar powered air pumps aren’t really worth it unless you live somewhere where you get full sun year round. The pump I had only worked in direct sun without any clouds. You can either just run a really long air line from a plugged in pump or not even use a pump at all. I have run all my outdoor tubs without air and they have done well for me. The caveat is that if you have green water, it can choke out your fish at night while they take up O2. I have floating plants in all my tubs so there’s never enough light for green water to even start ✌🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have outdoor tanks that have been running on solar for years. A good 20 watt panel runs a 2.5 watt air pump even through clouds. Don't get the air pumps with built in solar though. They never last long. You need a solar panel, a controller with a USB outlet, a small solar/marine battery, and a USB air pump (bonus if it has a backup battery).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1