On 9/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea I’m like 5 years old when I get excited. Guy hasn’t even located them but I redid the tank for them 🤣 

What are your thoughts. Left cave is panda cave and shrimp moss mountain (yup now it will be a BR snack bar 🤣)

RIGHT I have a tunnel and two size pots for dad (yup positive thinking) to choose and easily guard from the pandemonium. 

I’m open to suggestions. It’s being worked on now so excuse the mess. 

C4256091-7105-4329-A3AC-49E02BB595C8.jpeg

513AA465-C978-4734-B686-F05B1B425636.jpeg

43864D52-D2E0-40E3-A465-C2AAB5D2AFCF.jpeg

It looks great!

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 3:43 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea and other Bolivian ram owners I have questions please. So I do not have any tanks I keep warm enough for the Bolivian rams. Does anyone keep them at 74-75?  (I will probably post that as a general forum question as well)

No they won't do well that low.  Mine died from being too cold 😞

Pandas and Rams works, but it's hard on one or the other. 😞

I will definitely have a ram one day, but yeah... I can report there is zero issue keeping them with other bottom dwellers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lowells Fish Lab in your Bolivian ram breeding video. What is the terra cotta pot height so I can order them or pick them up at the hardware store.   I have liners. Great video BTW. I seen your journal also. Really helped me understand the difference in cave needs from what I intended and made me feel better about my choice and putting them with pandas vs species only. I have so seen the sky is falling apocalypse fear behavior in other fish without dithers. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 6:52 PM, Lowells Fish Lab said:

@Guppysnail the pots are 4.5 inch diameter at the widest but don't let me give you the impression that they're picky. Once they get comfortable they'll spawn on just about anything.

Will this work?  I was trying to give height to caves to keep nosey pandas from bothering the parents. 

814D24D7-F1D4-4E25-8BFC-32EF722EF8DF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 7:06 PM, Lowells Fish Lab said:

Are you thinking they'll go inside? I've given them shelter like you would give blue rams and they seem to like that but I've never thought of them seeking out caves. I have no idea what they would do. Might just as likely spawn on top of them. That I have seen.

That’s why I liked yours so much. I can turn the opening to face the side to keep constant panda noses out so they won’t have a nervous breakdown guarding I was totally just guessing at the pots. I really had no idea what they would do. This is my first go at rams of any type. 

• Like 3

@Guppysnail I think it's certainly worth a try. I've had blue rams spawn inside a clay pot tipped over on its side but they're a bit smaller so I get why you're thinking about bigger pots. Is it panda corydoras you'll be keeping them with? It occurs to me that at night time when the parents get less vigilant the Corys might snipe the wigglers. Have you considered leaving enough light on to keep the parents alert for a few days till the fry lift off the ground?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, Guppysnail said:

That’s why I liked yours so much. I can turn the opening to face the side to keep constant panda noses out so they won’t have a nervous breakdown guarding I was totally just guessing at the pots. I really had no idea what they would do. This is my first go at rams of any type. 

The pandas should just ignore them. They generally learn pretty quickly to avoid being pecked. Mine grew up with a red tail black shark and she definitely doesn't tolerate them in some spots. They had the ram, even just the one, he had his spot and the pandas had theirs.

Best of luck with the tank, I'm excited for your future success!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 10:44 PM, Lowells Fish Lab said:

@Guppysnail I think it's certainly worth a try. I've had blue rams spawn inside a clay pot tipped over on its side but they're a bit smaller so I get why you're thinking about bigger pots. Is it panda corydoras you'll be keeping them with? It occurs to me that at night time when the parents get less vigilant the Corys might snipe the wigglers. Have you considered leaving enough light on to keep the parents alert for a few days till the fry lift off the ground?

Yes panda cory. No I had not even thought of it. When I seen you video of pulling the pot away from the saucer I was thinking/ hoping they would tuck them in there like yours did. I do have tons of small lights. I can illuminate softly the area where their cave is. 
Some getting nabbed is not a huge concern for me. I’m not a breed for profit and usually give away whatever I breed. I just enjoy learning and watching all the subtle nuances and behaviors of different fish mating, raising young etc. But the insight ahead of time I get from forum members helps shorten the trial and error curve. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

i had rams for a while and i had trouble keeping them i did not try to breed them the water and temp was ok i tried to keep a small school and if they lost their mate they  would not last long ,without their mate ,, even if i tried a new mate  they would ignore the new one  and would not last 

My new Pigmy cories are still babies they are in the new tank with  the shrimp in the shrimp  tank for now till they  grow  more ,,  Dylan my fish guy said it was best  to wait to add them to main tank let them grew a month or two    but if  they are still to small for main tank I i might  have to move them and the shrimp to my 20 gallon  that  i am using for a quarantine tank and use  the 10 for a quarantine  but i hope i can move them

I have 6 new red cherry shrimp and i will have to use the turkey baster instead of a siphon to clean the sand  they are so tiny ,, i only got 5 but Dylan throw in a extra one for free ,,, he does that sometimes ,, i am sure  they will multiple 

Plus i have a new bristolnose pelco it it a male  he is just a plain regular brown/black bristolnose   I am so glad to have him i missed having a pelco in the  tank he is already friendly he does not run as much as Marvin  he already has had zucchini and green beans  he is not eating the green bean much due the snails i might have to put a couple more pieces in the tank 

i  only name the  bristolnose I am watching him  trying to figure a name for him  i am kinda leaning on Barney or Jethro  or Bruno from Andy Griffith or Beverly  Hillbillies or Bruno Mars not sure yet of the name 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/19/2022 at 4:04 PM, Bev C said:

i had rams for a while and i had trouble keeping them i did not try to breed them the water and temp was ok i tried to keep a small school and if they lost their mate they  would not last long ,without their mate ,, even if i tried a new mate  they would ignore the new one  and would not last 

My new Pigmy cories are still babies they are in the new tank with  the shrimp in the shrimp  tank for now till they  grow  more ,,  Dylan my fish guy said it was best  to wait to add them to main tank let them grew a month or two    but if  they are still to small for main tank I i might  have to move them and the shrimp to my 20 gallon  that  i am using for a quarantine tank and use  the 10 for a quarantine  but i hope i can move them

I have 6 new red cherry shrimp and i will have to use the turkey baster instead of a siphon to clean the sand  they are so tiny ,, i only got 5 but Dylan throw in a extra one for free ,,, he does that sometimes ,, i am sure  they will multiple 

Plus i have a new bristolnose pelco it it a male  he is just a plain regular brown/black bristolnose   I am so glad to have him i missed having a pelco in the  tank he is already friendly he does not run as much as Marvin  he already has had zucchini and green beans  he is not eating the green bean much due the snails i might have to put a couple more pieces in the tank 

i  only name the  bristolnose I am watching him  trying to figure a name for him  i am kinda leaning on Barney or Jethro  or Bruno from Andy Griffith or Beverly  Hillbillies or Bruno Mars not sure yet of the name 

I’m so happy you have a new bristlenose. Jethro or Jed definitely has my vote. If it was a girl I would go Ellie May 🤗

Edited by Guppysnail

GUP IS GOING TO KEYSTONE CLASH TOMORROW 🤩

Hubby is going to some political rally thing..Gup does not do politics. Not in a house, not with a mouse. Not in a box and not with a fox. Gup does not do politics Sam I Am 🤣🤣🤣🤣

So Keystone Clash here I come 🤗

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 9/23/2022 at 11:25 AM, Guppysnail said:

GUP IS GOING TO KEYSTONE CLASH TOMORROW 🤩

Hubby is going to some political rally thing..Gup does not do politics. Not in a house, not with a mouse. Not in a box and not with a fox. Gup does not do politics Sam I Am 🤣🤣🤣🤣

So Keystone Clash here I come 🤗

Measure your tanks in case you see scaping stuff. That way you can make sure it fits. And take a cooler in case you buy plants or critters!

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2022 at 7:30 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Measure your tanks in case you see scaping stuff. That way you can make sure it fits. And take a cooler in case you buy plants or critters!

I have an insulated bag it’s cool here now. I can’t fit anything else in my tanks 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I went to the clash. @TeeJay went shopping with me via text 🤣. I was looking for live food only. I have a whole bucket of plants I don’t have room for. He wanted some shrimpy stuff. 
I was supposed to hook up with Jen from Small World Aquatics for my scuds. She is local and sells all sorts of live food and some shrimp. On her table were just a few bags of the wiggliest fish I ever seen. They wiggled so much I had to look. Fish I never heard of but awful wiggly. 

I texted Teejay everything and went roaming about. Ran into @Purple Guppy who I had given some purple guppies to. Come to find out one of the boys I gave her she raised to be a stunning fish. She entered him in the competition 😍. I hope she does well. It’s the first time I got to see any purple one as an adult. He was a pastel purple with rainbow iridescent scales like a mother of Pearl or opal. Very shimmery. The lights didn’t let his colors show up well on video but here he is. 🥰🤗

I went back to Jen’s table and got Teejays stuff and those fish were so freaking wiggly. 
I wandered around and fell in love with a red lizard whip tail cat. His adorable little eyes begged me to love him and take him home. I said I’m sorry cutie pie but I don’t have room. No fish today 😢 But someday 🤗6CC17575-EC0C-45C7-9C01-412FCAA5DC56.jpeg.14b5dded9806a21d06b560e4fe25d040.jpeg

That guy also had these which I thought were super cool  He also has my Asian stone mini cats but did not have them at the clash  

9C07D8A8-6695-4EA4-97F3-F42A37852F12.jpeg.ea2d625c59aca0ac85f03a344be3dee3.jpeg1E21CFC6-C889-41E4-B370-ADD8CA03829F.jpeg.8307e07c61eb9c35c1bf76ec0cf9577c.jpeg
I had to go back to Jen’s table to meet up with the girl I get my orang isopods and springtails from. Darn wiggly fish. Jen showed me a video of them in her tank scurrying around a cucumber ❤️ …nope no fish no room no tank ☹️…. How much for 6 wiggly fish …I SAID NO FISH…ok I’ll take 6 😁…I SAID NO FISH😡…here I can wrap and cushion them in my new clash T-shirt in my bag 🤗🤬🤬🤬

This scene in my head was very much a Sméagol arguing with precious dialogue…I WON (I think?)MY WIGGLY FISH 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Aspidora Spilotus dwarf catfish  

so they are in my 10 g Frankenstein/plant clipping/ project tank for qt  🤣

Now I need to watch and play musical fish to see where they will be happiest  

6EAEC953-9C69-4047-8260-311C43A66CCA.jpeg

BBEAC8CD-1B81-44EB-8527-8674D00F17B5.jpeg

0A5B508C-B7F7-4EAE-9219-71922AA35DC7.jpeg

2456F7C6-A6E4-4123-A7F8-19DF56DC151D.jpeg

2149B0C6-C824-4748-9EEF-32C4285F5ADE.jpeg

1D1D83EA-AA49-46BC-9114-06A243B57DB9.jpeg

3296A517-A7FA-4685-AAD9-CC41D7F49009.jpeg

4C8DDF78-F2EB-4A36-B881-84FC7B1B7CB7.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 6

On 9/24/2022 at 6:31 PM, Guppysnail said:

So I went to the clash. @TeeJay went shopping with me via text 🤣. I was looking for live food only. I have a whole bucket of plants I don’t have room for. He wanted some shrimpy stuff. 
I was supposed to hook up with Jen from Small World Aquatics for my scuds. She is local and sells all sorts of live food and some shrimp. On her table were just a few bags of the wiggliest fish I ever seen. They wiggled so much I had to look. Fish I never heard of but awful wiggly. 

I texted Teejay everything and went roaming about. Ran into @Purple Guppy who I had given some purple guppies to. Come to find out one of the boys I gave her she raised to be a stunning fish. She entered him in the competition 😍. I hope she does well. It’s the first time I got to see any purple one as an adult. He was a pastel purple with rainbow iridescent scales like a mother of Pearl or opal. Very shimmery. The lights didn’t let his colors show up well on video but here he is. 🥰🤗

I went back to Jen’s table and got Teejays stuff and those fish were so freaking wiggly. 
I wandered around and fell in love with a red lizard whip tail cat. His adorable little eyes begged me to love him and take him home. I said I’m sorry cutie pie but I don’t have room. No fish today 😢 But someday 🤗6CC17575-EC0C-45C7-9C01-412FCAA5DC56.jpeg.14b5dded9806a21d06b560e4fe25d040.jpeg

That guy also had these which I thought were super cool  He also has my Asian stone mini cats but did not have them at the clash  

9C07D8A8-6695-4EA4-97F3-F42A37852F12.jpeg.ea2d625c59aca0ac85f03a344be3dee3.jpeg1E21CFC6-C889-41E4-B370-ADD8CA03829F.jpeg.8307e07c61eb9c35c1bf76ec0cf9577c.jpeg
I had to go back to Jen’s table to meet up with the girl I get my orang isopods and springtails from. Darn wiggly fish. Jen showed me a video of them in her tank scurrying around a cucumber ❤️ …nope no fish no room no tank ☹️…. How much for 6 wiggly fish …I SAID NO FISH…ok I’ll take 6 😁…I SAID NO FISH😡…here I can wrap and cushion them in my new clash T-shirt in my bag 🤗🤬🤬🤬

This scene in my head was very much a Sméagol arguing with precious dialogue…I WON (I think?)MY WIGGLY FISH 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Aspidora Spilotus dwarf catfish  

so they are in my 10 g Frankenstein/plant clipping/ project tank for qt  🤣

Now I need to watch and play musical fish to see where they will be happiest  

6EAEC953-9C69-4047-8260-311C43A66CCA.jpeg

BBEAC8CD-1B81-44EB-8527-8674D00F17B5.jpeg

0A5B508C-B7F7-4EAE-9219-71922AA35DC7.jpeg

2456F7C6-A6E4-4123-A7F8-19DF56DC151D.jpeg

2149B0C6-C824-4748-9EEF-32C4285F5ADE.jpeg

1D1D83EA-AA49-46BC-9114-06A243B57DB9.jpeg

3296A517-A7FA-4685-AAD9-CC41D7F49009.jpeg

4C8DDF78-F2EB-4A36-B881-84FC7B1B7CB7.jpeg

Well it was a good thing I wasn't there or we would have had waayyy more stuff we shouldn't have come home with! No tank room, no problem I throw up a tote tank!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1