Cory's New Hard Water Well-Water

Streetwise

I am really looking forward to seeing how Cory reacts to the harder well-water at the new place. I think many of the changes that we have seen in his videos, text, and business are gradual, measured steps. This change is different. I think having hard water in one space will be cool, and very informative.

For soft water, I hear the advice about adding crushed coral. I have lived with hard water for years, where the crushed coral is from ancient reefs as limestone. For hard water, I like to include wood in all of my tanks.

I don't have measurable soft water experience, so I can't compare. This is why I really look forward to Cory documenting this.

• Like 2

I struggle to understand what it must be like to live with soft water. Your hair must be so smooth and happy. Your dishes must sparkle. I bet your towels stay soft forever. And all your Kribs are boys. 

But I agree I am looking forward to seeing an expert take on the shift, and especially on learning any tips to help easily keep softer water fish happy. I really want rams someday. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, RovingGinger said:

I struggle to understand what it must be like to live with soft water. Your hair must be so smooth and happy. Your dishes must sparkle. I bet your towels stay soft forever. 

Gotta admit, it's nice. When I take a shower in a hotel in another city, my skin feels sticky and soap doesn't lather nearly enough. My tap is 0 GH and 7 dKH, so I do have to add calcium and magnesium every water change. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I think if I wasn't such a fan of hardware fish, the shock would be real. Currently I'm looking forward to having all my fish easier to keep than they are now. 

No doubt there will be something to learn, but until I'm living it I won't be able to see it.  I'm honestly most excited about having like 5ppm nitrate in my well. However that is what I tested mid summer when we were looking to buy, for all I know, the well changes based on season. Who knows?

5 hours ago, Cory said:

I think if I wasn't such a fan of hardware fish, the shock would be real. Currently I'm looking forward to having all my fish easier to keep than they are now. 

No doubt there will be something to learn, but until I'm living it I won't be able to see it.  I'm honestly most excited about having like 5ppm nitrate in my well. However that is what I tested mid summer when we were looking to buy, for all I know, the well changes based on season. Who knows?

Depending upon how deep your well is, it could change seasonally and depending upon how much rain you've had. I'm not sure about out there, but here in NW Ohio, we will have a ton of rain in spring and then be bone dry during the summer and my water chemistry will change. It's usually not much of a change, but some. I usually average between 5-10ppm nitrate over the year.

Just now, FrostiesFishes

@Streetwise I’m curious as well as I’m assuming his water will be more on par to what I’m working with. As many would call it liquid rock. But like you I also add wood, oak and magnolia leaves and some other nut/husk stuff I get off a guy at the local swaps. 

Can you tell me about using oak and magnolia leaves in the tank? They're all over my yard, but I don't know how to make them tank-safe.

9 hours ago, Streetwise said:

I am really looking forward to seeing how Cory reacts to the harder well-water at the new place. I think many of the changes that we have seen in his videos, text, and business are gradual, measured steps. This change is different. I think having hard water in one space will be cool, and very informative.

For soft water, I hear the advice about adding crushed coral. I have lived with hard water for years, where the crushed coral is from ancient reefs as limestone. For hard water, I like to include wood in all of my tanks.

I don't have measurable soft water experience, so I can't compare. This is why I really look forward to Cory documenting this.

I agree my city's water is pulled from 19 wells around the ohio river. So its very hard and my guppies love it. I look forward to learning more from cory's experience.

@clovenpine I just take them from my yard and a quick boil, obviously make sure they aren’t getting any fertilizer on them from the yard. I’d check google to make sure you species of tree are ok. Here’s  a good article about using leaves in aquariums. 

img-16.png?&width=1200&height=630&mode=c
WWW.PRACTICALFISHKEEPING.CO.UK

Collect fallen leaves from a nearby forest and use these to decorate your tank.

Edited by FrostiesFishes
Typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Cory said:

Hmmm, I guess I'm not in the know. Why are you looking forward to nitrates in your water?

We usually perform water changes to remove this. Along with the use of plants of course.

Help me understand . . . 😕