Calculating air pump size

Scramper

Hi everyone--My first post! I am setting up 2 40gal breeders for an Apisto project. Each tank will be divided into 3 equal parts and I plan on using sponge filters. Four of the compartments will house one breeding pair, perhaps a Cory or three and some nanostomus or similar for dithers. The other two will be used as grow-outs. I have the double headed sponge filters, just need the piston pump (singular). My question is: How long will it take train "A" to get to El Paso? Not, that's not it, how many gallons/hours should I be looking at?  Thanks all!~

Bailey

• Haha 1

Are the tanks going to be near one another?  I would recommend a pretty specific setup, with a metal gang valve so you can use one pump to power multiple items in the tanks.  The metal ones work a lot better in my experience than the other plastic ones.  Of note, the 40G tanks are generally "deep" compared to something like a 10G tank and I have found that you do need a pretty good pump to work long term without issues.  In my experience, I'm running 3-5 items on a pond style "deep water" pump rated for 150 gallons. I specify this because it's 1 pump, with good pressure, for X amount of items. This isn't necessarily what your setup would be, but after years of trying pumps and having issues, this is what I've ended up on.  Once we have an idea of the room setup, then we can dive a bit deeper into the details 🙂 . 

Welcome to the forum!