Momma bear is sick :(

Martin

Momma bear is sick.  In her guppy tank, she was one of the original three female guppies that bore the rest of the population.  She is special from the others though because she was born with a spine deformity that gave her a hunchback appearance.  Despite this, she has always been a happy and healthy resident amongst her family.  As the population grew, she become only one of a few guppies that I could recognize on sight.  

I don't always see her due to the amount of hardscape and plants I keep; I just figured she was hidden away somewhere hiding from her suitors.  It wasn't until I did a deep clean of the tank this evening that Momma scurried away from a little spot near the sponge filter.  I dropped to eye-level to say hello and it was then that I saw her once round and healthy belly had lost all volume and that she was only slowly fluttering her fins.  When placing her in an isolation box and the poor thing didn't/couldn't even run from the net.  She literally just allowed herself to get scooped up.  She doesn't swim; she won't eat.  I feel guilty, like I should have seen it sooner.  I'm heartbroken over a guppy.  I didn't know that was possible.

20220923_193610.jpg

• Sad 3

It is painful to see a fish feeling poorly. It sounds like she has lived an active and fish-friendly life with lots of companions in your tank. I'm sure she has benefitted from your care. Between plants and the population size for guppies, it is nearly impossible to notice right away when one fish is hiding. It happens to all of us 😞