Do you cull your shrimp?

meadeam

I didn't even know it's a thing until recently.  I got my first ever shrimp, red cherries, from Aqua Huna about a year ago.  I started with ten and have we'll into triple digits now.  I think most are still coming out red.  I don't have a tank setup for culls or anyone to feed them to right now.  I'm not sure it's that important to me, but an interesting idea.  

I do cull my shrimp because I like keeping a bright, deep blue in my blue dreams. That doesn't mean I kill them, I just put the less colored ones in a different system. I do feed a few of them to my waspfish, but the majority just live their lives in a "cull tank." I get some pretty interesting patterns and colors in there!

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 8:44 PM, anitstuk said:

I don't cull shrimp because I can't get shrimp to breed. XD

I can't get them to not breed!

On 9/22/2022 at 9:08 PM, dylaneff1 said:

I do cull my shrimp because I like keeping a bright, deep blue in my blue dreams. That doesn't mean I kill them, I just put the less colored ones in a different system. I do feed a few of them to my waspfish, but the majority just live their lives in a "cull tank." I get some pretty interesting patterns and colors in there!

I may do this.  I don't have a fish to feed shrimp to at the moment.  I plan to keep angels in at least a 75 at some point, but that won't be for awhile.  A crazy shrimp tank would be cool though.

Are the hard to catch without tearing up the tank?  I just caught all of my shrimp (twice!) when I moved them, but I had removed all plants and hardscape first.

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2022 at 6:28 PM, meadeam said:

I can't get them to not breed!

Are the hard to catch without tearing up the tank?  I just caught all of my shrimp (twice!) when I moved them, but I had removed all plants and hardscape first.

I have a similar problem my tanks are setup they I like for some time now and it's just not worth tearing it up. I started with a few aquahuna reds and they have stayed true for the most part. I am noticing a bit more clear/ rilis, usually I catch any I happen to see out during weekly maintenance.

I usually dump my culls (if I do it) an 10 gallon outdoor pot with some water poppies. So far they have survived out there pretty well and I have seen some super red ones.

If I only kept shrimp tanks I'd definitely be culling a lot more. But I like a nice mix of everything.