Shrimp hiding in filter

Schuyler

Last night I finally got some cherry shrimp for my tank. We drip acclimated them for a few hours last night and then let them in before going to bed.

This morning I tell my kids there is a surprise in the tank. The only surprise was that there was nothing new in the tank. After a while of searching I remembered that someone had shrimp getting into their filter.

Sure enough there they were... Happily munching away.

I blocked off the main intake but not the overflow slots at the top

PXL_20220922_142543404.jpg

• Love 1

On 9/22/2022 at 12:13 PM, Gumbo99 said:

I've had that happen in my shrimp tanks that had hang on back filters, pulling the media and dumping shrimp back in the tank became part of my routine maintenance. 😂

When I first started using canister filters and cleaned one I removed the baskets but dropped a piece of sponge in the tall dark black canister with dirty water still in it.  I stuck my hand in to retrieve the sponge.  Frightened me so bad I jumped back shrieked and spilled the nasty water everywhere.  My shrimp had an entire colony in there and all I felt were small things wiggling and jumping onto my hand 🤣

• Haha 1

I have used prefilter sponges for a very long time for that reason. But have you had shrimp come in through the outflow?

On 9/22/2022 at 12:26 PM, Guppysnail said:

When I first started using canister filters and cleaned one I removed the baskets but dropped a piece of sponge in the tall dark black canister with dirty water still in it.  I stuck my hand in to retrieve the sponge.  Frightened me so bad I jumped back shrieked and spilled the nasty water everywhere.  My shrimp had an entire colony in there and all I felt were small things wiggling and jumping onto my hand 🤣

I’ve found them in my canister too I assume shrimplets made it through the prefilter and lived their best life in the bottom of my canister. 😂

• Haha 1