Cory with something on his head

Kim Nancarrow

On 9/22/2022 at 5:08 PM, Guppysnail said:

It look kind of like excess slime coat production but I don’t really know. @Colu?

It does look like Over production of the slime coat little information would be helpful what are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate etc does it have a fuzzy appearance is he eating ok any rapid breathing listlessness 

• Like 1

Hi everyone - thank you so much for your responses. Nothing hard on the substrate - all of my rocks are rounded. Maybe my drift wood? But, nothing visibly sharp or immediately concerning. I did move all my corys from my other tank a couple of weeks back as my pair of apistogramma macmasteri were killing them (never saw anything, but they have a history with corys). So, it could be an injury that I didn't see from that. 

He/she was swimming listlessly at the top of the tank pretty much all day - very different from my other corys. He/she also had very little reaction to the net when I corralled him/her to get a better look. Did not respond to food when put in the tank. Just keep swimming at the top. 

Temp 77.2 F

Nitrate 50

Nitrite 0

Hardness 300

Buffer 70

pH 7.2

Chlorine 0

Thanks again for your expertise! 

On 9/22/2022 at 1:11 PM, Kim Nancarrow said:

Nothing hard on the substrate - all of my rocks are rounded. Maybe my drift wood? But, nothing visibly sharp or immediately concerning. I did move all my corys from my other tank a couple of weeks back as my pair of apistogramma macmasteri were killing them (never saw anything, but they have a history with corys). So, it could be an injury that I didn't see from that. 

He/she was swimming listlessly at the top of the tank pretty much all day - very different from my other corys. He/she also had very little reaction to the net when I corralled him/her to get a better look. Did not respond to food when put in the tank. Just keep swimming at the top. 

Temp 77.2 F

There's a few things at play here and I can't say for certain what is causing stress.  An external parasite could cause the extra slime coat as well as some other issues.  This is what @Colu was asking about if it appears fuzzy or not because you'd use different meds to treat each case. 

78 is right on the edge where I would say the panda is stressed from the temp.  PH also is right on the edge but should be fine.  Corys like, generally, cooler water (70-74), lots of oxygenation, and general 6.0-7.0 PH water.  Tannins are a bonus also 🙂 .  That being said I would check a resource like planetcatfish for parameters for most species.  Of note, also, is that these are very likely tank raised and might have different parameters that they can thrive in.  This is why I can't specifically say this is the cause or the reason, but just something to note for their care going forward.

If you can, depending on stocking I would check what temps make sense for this tank.  If you don't have an airstone, I would add one just to help them get used to the new tank.  Given that this one corydoras is having some issues and not acting normal, I would put that one fish into a QT tank or into a breeding net at the surface.  This helps a little bit with spending energy to get air at the top of the tank.  Sometimes corydoras will jet to the top of the water, depending how close that is to the lid they might hit it accidentally.  If you do put the fish into a breeder net, try to keep it out of the light and in a setting where it can de-stress and relax a bit.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 4:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There's a few things at play here and I can't say for certain what is causing stress.  An external parasite could cause the extra slime coat as well as some other issues.  This is what @Colu was asking about if it appears fuzzy or not because you'd use different meds to treat each case. 

78 is right on the edge where I would say the panda is stressed from the temp.  PH also is right on the edge but should be fine.  Corys like, generally, cooler water (70-74), lots of oxygenation, and general 6.0-7.0 PH water.  Tannins are a bonus also 🙂 .  That being said I would check a resource like planetcatfish for parameters for most species.  Of note, also, is that these are very likely tank raised and might have different parameters that they can thrive in.  This is why I can't specifically say this is the cause or the reason, but just something to note for their care going forward.

If you can, depending on stocking I would check what temps make sense for this tank.  If you don't have an airstone, I would add one just to help them get used to the new tank.  Given that this one corydoras is having some issues and not acting normal, I would put that one fish into a QT tank or into a breeding net at the surface.  This helps a little bit with spending energy to get air at the top of the tank.  Sometimes corydoras will jet to the top of the water, depending how close that is to the lid they might hit it accidentally.  If you do put the fish into a breeder net, try to keep it out of the light and in a setting where it can de-stress and relax a bit.

Thank you! I will take a look at the temp and see if it would make sense to turn it down a bit. I knew it was at the upper end, but since it's technically within parameter, wasn't too worried. 

I have two airstones, so at least there is that. 🙂

• Like 1