Help...FX6 not working?!

Luciferkrist

So I finally am able to put water into my 210g, got my decorations, got my hardscape, got my substrate, got some plants and was finally ready to go.

So imagine my disappointment when I prime my brand new canister, and plug in the 'beast' and... nothing. No water moving, no detectable water flow either into or out, but the motor is making a horrifying grinding noise. I followed the 2 Gal water prime for the canister, waited for it to do it's first air purge, and now every time it just keep making horrible sounds and not pumping anything. 

Before you ask, yes I took the media baskets out and placed the media into the bags it came with, so it isn't clogged as far as I can tell.

My intake pipes are a direct drop into the intake, and my output pipes are only about 6 foot. I tried everything I can think of, as I assume it is air in the pump/motor, but I have no idea how to fix this.

Has anybody had a similar issue?!

Ah man, would definiately check the motor assembly/impeller.  You have to drain the canister.  4 Phillip screws to remove the motor and twist and pull housing to remove impeller.  

I would watch a video on servicing the FX6 for a better description on removing and reinstalling the impeller.  

16637376588547756773482112649524.jpg.37b042ac03b08e1484a2c233c05c9c6b.jpg

On 9/20/2022 at 7:56 PM, Bruce Leroi said:

Ah man, would definiately check the motor assembly/impeller.  You have to drain the canister.  4 Phillip screws to remove the motor and twist and pull housing to remove impeller.  

I would watch a video on servicing the FX6 for a better description on removing and reinstalling the impeller.  

Welp... think I found the problem. Looks like my impeller shaft broke. No idea how that happened as I never even tried it out before tonight. 

Luckily, I got it from my LFS so they will probably exchange it for me, but they don't open until noon. 

• Like 1

Well, not going to let a few hours more of waiting ruin my dream tank, so I'm going to show off my mk. 1 scape. Still need more plants and clean-up the substrate, and get the actual lights for it - it's all temporary until I get it cycled.1663738974720368320828365458284.jpg.75d5a91a5a15285070a336d9a8260dd1.jpg

Edited by Luciferkrist
Redundancy, and spelling!
  • Like 1

I have had this with my fluval 07 canisters. What happened to mine was as it pulled water in with me priming it (I don’t know if the FX  series has the priming pump) the water line dropped below my outflow. Whenever that happens nothing happens and it makes the wretched grinding noise but does nothing. I cheat now and fill the canister almost full so that the amount of water draining from the tank does not drop the water line below the outflow.  I hope that helps and solves the issue. It’s annoying but an easy fix. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 5:28 AM, Bruce Leroi said:

Wonder if the box was dropped, given the horizontal mount of the impeller into the motor assembly-that may of snapped the impeller shaft?  Anyhow, that is the attitude to have and your scape on your 210g looks great!  What are you stocking it with?

Stocking is still up in the air. Originally I wanted to do an arowana and a stingray tank - but since then I've kind of fell in love with plants and hardscapes, so the rays are now off the table with this size tank. I will eventually have some bichirs for sure, as I just love their derpy little personalities. The rest will be on hold until get back from Aquashella in October - I'll get a chance to see/talkabout species I know very little about and maybe find something I like.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, Luciferkrist said:

Stocking is still up in the air. Originally I wanted to do an arowana and a stingray tank - but since then I've kind of fell in love with plants and hardscapes, so the rays are now off the table with this size tank. I will eventually have some bichirs for sure, as I just love their derpy little personalities. The rest will be on hold until get back from Aquashella in October - I'll get a chance to see/talkabout species I know very little about and maybe find something I like.

Sounds awesome!   Glad your LFS helped you out.  Look forward to seeing your future setup!

On 9/21/2022 at 3:36 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have had this with my fluval 07 canisters. What happened to mine was as it pulled water in with me priming it (I don’t know if the FX  series has the priming pump) the water line dropped below my outflow. Whenever that happens nothing happens and it makes the wretched grinding noise but does nothing. I cheat now and fill the canister almost full so that the amount of water draining from the tank does not drop the water line below the outflow.  I hope that helps and solves the issue. It’s annoying but an easy fix. 

Yeah that's exactly what I thought reading the OP, it wasn't primed and that's the noise.  It's really bad.  Most canisters have the priming arm to manually pump the air out.  Definitely need to try to get as much air out as possible.  "better" canisters include features to easily get those bubbles out, while others kind of trap them pretty easily.