Acoop co2 regulator!!!

JoeQ

On 9/19/2022 at 11:53 PM, JoeQ said:

Hi @JoeQ,

That is a nice looking regulator however it looks much more like a "single stage dual gauge regulator"; a dual stage regulator should be much 'deeper' (front to back dimension).  When you look at industrial gas regulators on a regular basis you quickly recognize the difference.  That said I have only used single stage regulators for over 20 years for my planted tanks and never had an issue with them.  -Roy

1688656590_SinglevsDualStageRegulators.jpg.bf6b3eb5cd46b247ccdafc097b19e6e7.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @JoeQ,

That is a nice looking regulator however it looks much more like a "single stage dual gauge regulator"; a dual stage regulator should be much 'deeper' (front to back dimension).  When you look at industrial gas regulators on a regular basis you quickly recognize the difference.  That said I have only used single stage regulators for over 20 years for my planted tanks and never had an issue with them.  -Roy

1688656590_SinglevsDualStageRegulators.jpg.bf6b3eb5cd46b247ccdafc097b19e6e7.jpg

It looks very similar to the regulator I've had my eye on for awhile now 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0838KXK5D/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=AHQ9LFE32Q8RJ&psc=1

I have another company's version, it's a smart setup. (I only started with high-tech b/c I used to home brew a lot and already had co2 tanks.) I don't inject much, maybe 10ppm, but have noticed a dramatic increase in plant health and would rather worry about under injecting than gassing my fish. I like it, though it is an extra thing to manage. I place it on the opposite side of the tank from my sponge filter

Surprised the co-op went with air-line tubing, I thought you had to use CO2 specific tubing? 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:20 PM, AnimalNerd98 said:

Thank you for sharing this! Now I know what to tell my family what I want for my birthday 😂

Im in the same boat, November birthday!!! All thats stopping me from asking for an early birthday present is I need to know how precise the needle is, allowing as little as .3 bubbles a second.  As stated above, id rather have too little than too much.

Edited by JoeQ

On 9/20/2022 at 1:36 PM, AnimalNerd98 said:

October birthday for me! Woohoo! Fall birthdays represent ✌🏻

Hehehehe I think fall birthdays are the majority on account of the number of months away from Valentines day and New Year (AKA, the start of the cuddle season)  😂😊

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:55 PM, Pepere said:

I am 2/3s through November for my birthday.

human gestation is 40 weeks but the count starts from first day from last period of the mother.  Ie, birth typically occurs closer to 38 weeks after conception.

That conceivably could have put my conception right before Ash Wednesday, the beginning of a period of fasting and abstinence….

Do your parents celebrate Mardi Gras? Haha

On 9/20/2022 at 8:36 AM, JoeQ said:

It looks very similar to the regulator I've had my eye on for awhile now 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0838KXK5D/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=AHQ9LFE32Q8RJ&psc=1

Hi @JoeQ

Yep, that also looks like a single stage two gauge regulator.  I don't know if the overseas manufacturer(s) just doesn't know the difference or is trying to deceive the U.S. buying public.  -Roy

On 9/20/2022 at 5:16 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @JoeQ

Yep, that also looks like a single stage two gauge regulator.  I don't know if the overseas manufacturer(s) just doesn't know the difference or is trying to deceive the U.S. buying public.  -Roy

Probably a little of both, or it is just a newer simplier design thats cheaper to make! 🤣

On 9/21/2022 at 7:57 AM, Robstar said:

I've never ran co2. Where do you all get the cylinders from?

Homebrew shops , welding supply companies or a beverage distributor.  This usually runs on a tank exchange system so if interested don't go buying a shiny brand new tank which will only get exchanged for a ugly but full tank of co2! 😂

Edited by JoeQ
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:42 PM, JoeQ said:

Hehehehe I think fall birthdays are the majority on account of the number of months away from Valentines day and New Year (AKA, the start of the cuddle season)  😂😊

Snowstorms also. I was born in November of 58 and we had two blizzards in February and March of 58 where couples were trapped at home with nothing else to do. I was one of many blizzard babies born that year. About half the kids at my school were born in that blizzard baby window.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:07 AM, K McZongo said:

Guess I'll be trying out CO2 on a new tank. 

Generally how much are folks paying for a CO2 cylinder?

If you check out Facebook Marketplace you're apt to find used cylinders selling pretty cheap. (As low as $15 locally though most are in the $50-$100 range.) 

On 9/21/2022 at 10:07 AM, K McZongo said:

Guess I'll be trying out CO2 on a new tank. 

Generally how much are folks paying for a CO2 cylinder?

If it were me id buy it filled then just exchange the tank (similar to propane exchange) there are just too many unscrupulous people willing to sell something cheap that they know can't legally be refilled because of regulations..

@gardenman, a blanket reasoning of human spawning season sounds like a way better reason for the excessive numbers of fall births! 😂

On 9/21/2022 at 7:57 AM, Robstar said:

I've never ran co2. Where do you all get the cylinders from?

I got 2 of mine online from Gas Cylinder Source.  I had done some searching for used ones but decided I'd rather just get a recertified one because I don't know what to do about re-certifying them (or how much that cost s).  The last one I bought was an aluminum one from Northern Brewer.  That last setup doesn't seem to hold CO2 well - it runs out every couple of months and even though that aquarium is my biggest, I still have the drip very low so I think something is not right with it.  Haven't been able to find a leak yet though...

On 9/21/2022 at 11:05 AM, gjcarew said:

It's an amazing price for regulator with the capability for multiple manifolds. 

Yep.  It really is.  I bought all 3 of mine from CO2Art because I thought Cory wasn't ever planning to sell a regulator (this was like 2 yrs ago).  Now I'm so sad...nothing against CO2Art but I would have rather give that money to the Co-Op (AND I could have had 3 regulators that take multiple manifolds for less cost than what I got, which is 2 single-manifold only and 1 multiple). Maybe also better quality...though mine have been working out just fine but I trust the Co-Op's rigorous testing more than anyone else's.

Edited by Jess

On 9/21/2022 at 12:41 PM, Jess said:

Yep.  It really is.  I bought all 3 of mine from CO2Art because I thought Cory wasn't ever planning to sell a regulator (this was like 2 yrs ago).  Now I'm so sad...nothing against CO2Art but I would have rather give that money to the Co-Op (AND I could have had 3 regulators that take multiple manifolds for less cost than what I got, which is 2 single-manifold only and 1 multiple). Maybe also better quality...though mine have been working out just fine but I trust the Co-Op's rigorous testing more than anyone else's.

+1 with the added comment of "or give my money to Amazon....."

• Like 1