Confirming Aphids?

Lauren A

Hi,

I bought some Val’s a couple weeks ago but left them in a bin alone to see if any pond snails hatched.  I woke up to this infestation a couple days ago.  I have since gotten rid of them all with the plants.  It creeped me out.  Just confirming they are aphids and not a more dangerous type of pest.  

they were no where near tanks, but I do have house plants in this room so I’m checking those too.

Thanks!9F16BBE2-CB4F-4052-87B6-9D93DFFD50DB.png.5ce76f15eff7de6c318ad775bd306fcd.png

Edited by Lauren A

On 9/20/2022 at 4:10 PM, Guppysnail said:

Though I cannot tell you for certain what your uninvited pests are. In the future here is a plant disinfecting technique that causes no plant damage but eliminates pests and pest eggs to save you from needing to throw away your plants. 

How interesting.  I’ve never heard of this.  I used to bleach disinfect but I always had trouble with Val’s melting almost immediately.  I’m just glad I did not add these.  Thank you very much!

On 9/21/2022 at 11:28 AM, eatyourpeas said:

They look like aphids, I have them in a couple of my tanks. They provide a great source of food for minnows, sparkling gourami and corydoras.

Oh good, they looked like it to me but it was a little hard to tell.  I had red spider like looking ones come in plants before so they looked different.  I know my betta would love them as a tasty snack, but he would definitely eat way too many and get sick.  Thank you for your help!  

• Like 1

Reverse Respiration is fantastic at removing pest snails and almost any algae. My black bearded algae (yes I'm owning it kind of like bad gremlins in that movie) just takes a little cat nap after RR treatment and then comes back even hairier (hairy-er?) more hirsute!!!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:40 PM, sankaz said:

Reverse Respiration is fantastic at removing pest snails and almost any algae. My black bearded algae (yes I'm owning it kind of like bad gremlins in that movie) just takes a little cat nap after RR treatment and then comes back even hairier (hairy-er?) more hirsute!!!

Thank you so much!  Ha!  I love it - bad gremlins.  😂 I’ve actually been working at removing BBA from one of my tanks.  Not fun!  I wish so bad the snails liked it.  Good to know though.  I appreciate your help! 

On 9/21/2022 at 7:40 PM, sankaz said:

If you do not have critters actively eating it. The dead bba could be a breading ground releasing nutrients to grow new. When I tested I have gobs of critters that much it down like it’s the tastiest treat they ever had once it’s dead. Red is very dead and any tank I placed it that never experienced bba it never infected those tank. 
I have to be honest though. I LOVE the hairy pineapple. I would probably cultivate it to look like a hairy muppet 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 7:10 PM, Guppysnail said:

If you do not have critters actively eating it. The dead bba could be a breading ground releasing nutrients to grow new. When I tested I have gobs of critters that much it down like it’s the tastiest treat they ever had once it’s dead. Red is very dead and any tank I placed it that never experienced bba it never infected those tank. 
I have to be honest though. I LOVE the hairy pineapple. I would probably cultivate it to look like a hairy muppet 🤣

Hi, just curious what type of critters enjoy the BBA?  Thanks!  

On 9/30/2022 at 3:04 PM, Lauren A said:

Hi, just curious what type of critters enjoy the BBA?  Thanks!  

Not many when it’s alive. Once it turns red my shrimp, nerites, mystery snails and bladder snails eat it. Even my guppies eat it red and a few times I saw a panda Cory snuffling at it.