aquarium jail/divider/fry breeding net suggestions

venzi

Hi.  I'm considering buying some kind of breeder box/jail for when certain fish either get too aggressive or later on when breeding occurrs.  Anyone have suggestions on particular designs that work better than others?  I'm thinking something like this will work image.png.40c9d19fa8f879c96e05e455e3fb0a73.png but i guess it depends on how good the suction cups are.  It would be nice if it had a hook so that it could hang off the tank's rim.

• Like 1

This works fine, but if you have plecos, they can suck holes through these kinds of fabric. Recently, I've been looking at breeder boxes that you can hang on the side of the aquarium like this: 

1) https://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-On-Breeding-Box-Large/dp/B005QRDCP2/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=m70Lq&content-id=amzn1.sym.8cf3b8ef-6a74-45dc-9f0d-6409eb523603&pf_rd_p=8cf3b8ef-6a74-45dc-9f0d-6409eb523603&pf_rd_r=YHC9Y39ZZA6R2VEAV7ZW&pd_rd_wg=KSied&pd_rd_r=532291b6-09aa-4734-95ee-0fbc78e90e6b&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

2) Cheaper Option: https://www.amazon.com/ISTA-IF-648-Hang-Separation-Breeder/dp/B07F12T5VP/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ista+breeder+box&qid=1663726910&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=ISTA+breeder%2Cpets%2C149&sr=1-1

If you are looking for something to hang inside the aquarium, the Ziss Breeder Box seems like a good option. They also made a video of Dean setting one up. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/ziss-premium-breeder-box

Finally, if your fish are a bit larger and you want something cheaper and more DIY, there is also a video on a DIY fry trap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2022 at 10:08 AM, venzi said:

Hi.  I'm considering buying some kind of breeder box/jail for when certain fish either get too aggressive or later on when breeding occurrs.  Anyone have suggestions on particular designs that work better than others? 

I have used about 4-5 different ones and had my fair share of issues using them.  The biggest consideration I would advise is:
A.  How big is the container in relation to the fish inside
B.  How much room does this take up in your tank!

A lot of times they sell these for breeding, but even a swordtail or other livebearer can get pretty big, often too big, for the small size of these boxes.  If you have a sick fish, wounded fish that you want to observe, the smaller containers also either doesn't have good flow or they don't stay attached.  Keep in mind that your Hang on back output is likely going to be felt a lot more depending on how the tank is setup.  If you're using sponges, this is less of an issue. 

Floating style boxes didn't work because they were so small.  The boxes with the mesh under the fish for the fry didn't work for this same reason.  This are common in the big box store.  I do still have it, but I would almost never use it.  I have replaced that one with a net style one.  Almost no structure and it often falls off releasing the fish.  Sometimes these are also only meant for rimless tanks, so verify that before you decide.  It's great for some types of fish, but for catfish you'd want to avoid this material.

Which leads you down to two recommendations.  First, internally, the ziss breeder box works well, is well built, is a good size / shape, and will reliably stay attached to the glass.  Ziss has good suction cups.  TOO GOOD in most cases, which means they almost always work.  Second, as mentioned above, being the Marina hang on breeder box, which is now branded as the fluval breeder box.  It's the exact same thing, and you'll often see the older brand higher priced.  It's the exact same product and design. 

This style hangs outside of your tank and this just means you might need to have the lid slightly open.  I took a piece of airline tubing and cut it down the middle to keep the edge of the glass from cutting into the plastic on the intake tube.  I WOULD HIGHLY recommend adding to this a metal gang valve on your input.  The biggest complaint on these is the noise, and yeah... it's a lout one, but once I added the gang valve and tuned it, very minimal noise.  I am often a fan of the noise of pumps, equipment, water movement, as it's something I use to block out other noises when trying to sleep.  I find myself worried something isn't working when I don't hear the filters!  When I first hooked up the marina/fluval box, it was definitely annoying and very loud.  The cadence and rate of the noise is also very annoying.

I would also comment that for the hang on style boxes, you can use this as a filter for a QT tank. I recommend having those on hand for plants, moss, fish, filtration, etc.  VERY useful.  This is why they are often sold out and why the hobby really craves an updated, modern version of this style of product!

• Like 1

I love my Ziss breeder. It's sturdy, doesn't have to be re-assembled every time I need to grab it, and the suction cups have never failed. I use it as a honeymoon suite for livebearers and I appreciate that the lid keeps my chosen pair in the breeder box and out of the main tank.

It does take up space inside the tank, but the tradeoff is that I don't have to do anything to maintain flow, temperature, or water quality. My breeding fish spend just 24-48 hours in the box. I have also used it as a jail for bully male guppies overnight or for a day or so if they were terrorizing someone. I would not consider it large enough for adult fish to stay in longer than 48 hours or so.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 9:42 AM, gardenman said:

Teh Marina/Fluval hang-on breeder boxes are great. You won't be disappointed with them.

I have one and love it. The main drawback I've found is that if the ambient room temperature is much colder than the tank water, the box won't be as warm as the tank.

• Like 2

@PineSong is it necessary to use an airstone for the ziss breeder boxes?  I would think if a tank has adequate aeration/flow, then another airstone (while it wont hurt) would not be necessary.  Like how much oxygen would some fry take up?  and even if there somehow was a disparity b/t the oxygen in the breeder box vs the tank, wouldn't the oxygen levels reach equilibrium eventually?

@venzi, I have never used an airstone in or around the box. My tanks have sponge filters in one back corner and an airstone in the other back corner and I always hang the Ziss breeder in the front right hand corner and I've never had any problems. I'm not a chemist or an engineer, so I cannot speak to the science of whether there would be any need to. I guess if I was worried about it, I would attach the box closer to my filter or airstone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1