Hello from Manitoba, Canada

Ceiora

Hello everyone!

After buying my first home as a single mom and with no one to tell me no, I bought my first fish! Frank is a blue Betta that I bought on a whim, fell in love with, and now desperately want to give the best life I can! He's kind of dim and likes to swim into my hand or under decorations I’m trying to move when cleaning his tank, but I love him none-the-less. I got him a tank mate by the name of Francis who probably wishes I had not. As soon as I realized I wasn’t killing him, I thought it would be safe to buy a second fish and tank. And so the red crowntail Betta by the name of Fred joined our family.

I've learned now that I made a mistake listening to my LFS about the boys not needing bigger tanks. They both are 2.5 gallons and I’m in the process of remedying that. Currently setting up a 10 gallon planted tank for Frank, who seems like the more laid back fish that might get along with others. A few hiccups along the way of course: my plants are arriving before any of my other supplies will (substrate, light, fertilizer), and the air pump for my sponge filter doesn’t work. If everything somehow works out, I’ll look at upgrading Fred next.

I’m here to learn and absorb as much info as I can and I imagine I can only improve from here.

Quick question, would it be ok to place the plants in my water change bucket with my next batch of water change water from the boys tanks?

B6F33966-6332-46B6-86BC-E2B80F2B3384.jpeg

6F2B87E3-6DAB-46C3-A402-3C8D33513D3E.jpeg

A6F1C312-A750-4713-8E2F-162AC8602342.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

Welcome! Pretty fish!

Thanks Maggie! Frank has actually begun turning more red since I got him, I’m very curious what colour he’ll be going into 2021. And Fred has two identical iridescent scales under each eye that usual cause the creepiest pictures, I’ll experiment until I can take a picture that does him justice.

1 hour ago, Hobbit said:

Welcome! I just joined too! I think putting the plants in the water change bucket would be totally fine for a short time. You could also put them in your current tanks for now!

Welcome to the forum! Though I don’t think I beat you by much time and you definitely seem to have more experience 😉 I’ll definitely do that with the crypts I ordered, but I think I’ll be stuck with the taller plants in a bucket as my current tanks are ridiculously short. Any advice on what I should stick in the bucket with them and how to care for them until everything arrives?

I’ve only been in the hobby a year—not long compared to many around here! 😄

If you only have to wait a few days for your other supplies to come in, then I don’t think you have to do anything special with the bucket. Just make sure it gets some light (don’t put it in a closet). 😉 If it’s more than a few days, I’d put it under a stronger light. I’ve only done one plant order though so other people may have better ideas.

Welcome, @Ceiora. Glad to have you in the forum. If you purchased your air pump from Aquarium Co-op, be sure to let them know about it not working. They will take care of that for you.

Yes, your plants will be ok in a bucket. When you get a working air pump, you could pop some airline in the bucket too, for oxygenation for the plants, until your substrate arrives.

13 hours ago, akconklin said:

Welcome, @Ceiora. Glad to have you in the forum. If you purchased your air pump from Aquarium Co-op, be sure to let them know about it not working. They will take care of that for you.

Yes, your plants will be ok in a bucket. When you get a working air pump, you could pop some airline in the bucket too, for oxygenation for the plants, until your substrate arrives.

Unfortunately, as I’m in Canada, I can’t order from aquarium co-op and am forced to go online for almost everything. Tomorrow I will be making the drive into the nearest town and see if I can find a cheap one. I have discovered what the problem with the broken one was, and a family friend will attempt to fix for me. We’ll see which happens first.

Just now, Ceiora
13 hours ago, akconklin said:

Unfortunately, as I’m in Canada, I can’t order from aquarium co-op and am forced to go online for almost everything. Tomorrow I will be making the drive into the nearest town and see if I can find a cheap one. I have discovered what the problem with the broken one was, and a family friend will attempt to fix for me. We’ll see which happens first.

Ugh...bummer! Here's to hoping you can find one at good price or that you're friend comes through for you. 🙂👍